HELP! Apple LCD monitor dark...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
My 15" LCD apple monitor suddenly decided to not work this morning.....I turned on the Powermac and the button lit up on the monitor and the Mac was running, but not image at all on the screen----I got out my old Apple studio CRT monitor and switched from the LCD to it--it sat there on resart and displayed the classic folder thing in the center flashing then it finally went to the OSX login screen and everything was as normal as can be. I shut down and hooked up the LCD again, but it did the same thing....back to the CRT and it was cool, back the to LCD and no dice...so it looks like a monitor problem and not a computer issue..any ideas on what happened or what to do about it??

Reaction score
Sometimes stuff just breaks....

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the resolution got set to something higher than the LCD could display so it wouldn't display anything, but it wasn't a resolution too high for your CRT.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
Called Apple, and because it is out of warrenty they cannot talk about it- so I think I'll call the nearest service center (50 miles) to see what it might be....is there a bulb in these LCDs like in the TV LCDS?...

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, the Appleservice centers say that they no longer repair these LCDs, and that I should just buy a new one.......

C

crazycanadian

Ok, the Appleservice centers say that they no longer repair these LCDs, and that I should just buy a new one....... {wvmac}

that really sucks, are you going to try to get it repaired some where else or purchase another LCD?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called another service center and asked them to give me a price- they called me back and they said that they would fix it for $485 ..whew! Guess I am out of luck with that LCD.

I

iSeeKlearly

wvmac said:
I called another service center and asked them to give me a price- they called me back and they said that they would fix it for $485 ..whew! Guess I am out of luck with that LCD.

Buy a new one then ! :headphone Ebay should have some...
I've searched...but no return of cheap things on google...I figure I'd find you something good, but still cheap, on Amazon....no go...weird...
Well...since you have the flat-LCD, buy a back-up when the bulb dies...but Im just sayin' I'd buy one as a back-up you know, just incase some wierd thing happens at work, to your precious mac...lol..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
can you still see a dark something

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.