made the switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Congrats! I love my new one. What do you think so far?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Welcome to the forums.

Don't forget to enter your machine's specs so they show up under your name and avatar. That'll give everyone a better idea of what they're dealing with when they answer any questions. Also cuts down on replies asking for your specs. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow if dairy made the switch, I wonder where cheese and yogurt are? >_>"""

Welcome to the forums. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Probably still in the fridge.

Welcome to the forum!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Apple Care?

After 20+ years of using a PC and owning 5 different PCs, I made the switch to Mac in December. So far, I love everything. I have a question and since I wasn't sure where to post it, I'm posting it here in hopes someone has an answer or can redirect me.
I never had to have any repairs on any of my 5 pcs. I've heard wonderful things about Macs so I'm wondering, why I would need to pay the price of Apple Care. Can anyone tell me of their experience with Macs regarding repairs?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
After 20+ years of using a PC and owning 5 different PCs, I made the switch to Mac in December. So far, I love everything. I have a question and since I wasn't sure where to post it, I'm posting it here in hopes someone has an answer or can redirect me.
I never had to have any repairs on any of my 5 pcs. I've heard wonderful things about Macs so I'm wondering, why I would need to pay the price of Apple Care. Can anyone tell me of their experience with Macs regarding repairs?

It's an insurance policy, like any other extended warranty. Some like having the peace of mind in knowing that if there's a hardware failure, they're covered for the costs. And since Apple parts tend to be pretty salty, it can be worth it. If you do decide to buy it, I'd recommend looking to third parties, as it can be had cheaper elsewhere. Just stay away from eBay, as I've heard of scams surrounding Apple Care there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

WOW how lucky were you ... 5PC's and no repair. Would have to be a record :)

As with getting the Apple care, nothing these days are fail safe, including Mac's. Yes as good as they are in there hardware and software that goes with it, you can still experience problems.
Like if i was to by a new car with 5 yrs warranty, it would be a awesome buy, but if they could chuck in another 5 yrs warranty for me for $1000, with what i paid for the car and that extra i would see it as a good deal. If i was to have that car for more than 5 yrs, i think it would be acceptional value as the years go on i wouldnt have to worry about it breaking as i know it would be covered :)
Cheers and Welcome to the forum ....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW how lucky were you ... 5PC's and no repair. Would have to be a record :)

As much as we'd like to think that our Macs are baptized in pixie dust, under the hood, the hardware is very much the same commodity hardware used in ordinary Windows machines. In fact, much of Apple's hardware is made by Foxconn (I've also heard ASUS).

But to be quite honest, the only hardware I rarely see fail anymore on PCs is hard drives and the occasional fan or two. Macs are just as susceptible to those kinds of failures (mechanical in nature).

Where I think PCs really get the unreliable reputation is in the OS. 90% of my little side business repairing PCs is malware related. The other 8% or so is hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As much as we'd like to think that our Macs are baptized in pixie dust, under the hood, the hardware is very much the same commodity hardware used in ordinary Windows machines. In fact, much of Apple's hardware is made by Foxconn (I've also heard ASUS).

But to be quite honest, the only hardware I rarely see fail anymore on PCs is hard drives and the occasional fan or two. Macs are just as susceptible to those kinds of failures (mechanical in nature).

Where I think PCs really get the unreliable reputation is in the OS. 90% of my little side business repairing PCs is malware related. The other 8% or so is hard drives.

Yea i do understand that, as much as wish i had fairy dust. Was just going off personal experience, and those of friends. Weighing one up to the other ATM on my pie chart, Apple products are ahead at this point in time. But i do like it if ASUS are making hardware as ASUS Laptop is the only windows machine i havnt had break on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Congrats.! I too am awaiting delivery of my MBP today, so excited :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'd be afraid to get another $1000-$2500 Apple product without Apple Care. I always hand built my PC's and any problems which occurred hardware wise were always detected during the build, and went back right away for an exchange. I can count that experience on ONE finger. It was a MOBO, and that was in the 10+ years I had been building PC's.

Otherwise, it was Windows which was the root of all other problems.. or safer to say, third party software vendors. (still the fault of the Windows mentality)

With Apple however, there's nary any room for excuses since they hand pick all of their stuff in order for everything to match up really nicely. That said, I've noticed far more cases of hardware failure on this side of the pond vs the other. Why that is, I don't know... But I don't make false claims. It's just my observation in all the years of being on various PC forums, hardware was never really the issue with people.. Windows was.

Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, it seems to be the other way around, in that OS X is really pristine, but perhaps Apple's QC on the hardware side (especially their logic boards and graphic chip sets) isn't as tidy as it used to be. Is it because of the changes in the architecture ? Could be. Could be lots of things.

All I know is that I feel a LOT better having spent an extra couple of bills on Apple Care. I'll be purchasing it for the 13" uMBP before the year is up.

Doug

Reaction score
guys, i know this is a mac forum but plz, why all the fanboyism?

*OFFTOPIC*
A pc is a good machine too. the hardware breaks more often just because there is 92% more pc hardware then there is mac hardware. The os breaks more often just because there are 92% more people using it. among them atleast 90% cant work with a computer. i cant honestly say that i find my mac more stable then ultimate 7, it breaks. nothing to do about it.

and the apple care... yes, see it like an insurance. (i did not get it) your able to get it later too,i found the 1025€ i just payed enough already ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

and here we go again ! Hey DougB look now someone thinks your a fanboy too !
Just because I think my Macbook was sprinkled with pixxie dust doesn't make me a fanboy does it ?

Clay

oh and to the OP congrats and welcome !

(note to baggss when he gets here-have a drink of your Kool-Aid before commenting)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Wait, seriously? You come to a forum with name like Mac-Forums and you are surprised to find fanboys? Sorry if you don't get the idea from the forum name but it IS a Mac fan based forum. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other places on the web to point your browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
A pc is a good machine too. the hardware breaks more often just because there is 92% more pc hardware then there is mac hardware. The os breaks more often just because there are 92% more people using it.

That's why it's a personal preference.

For example, my MacBook has been better than any of the Windows machines I have owned. Because, 90% of the time I used one of my WM, I had problems with it, within the first year or so of owning it it had 2 hardware failures, cause is unknown (it sat on a desk?). Now, I have been using my MacBook 90% of the day, every day, since I have owned it, which was back in June/July of 2008. The only major problem I have had with it was when I had a kernel panic, which was fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
Before this forum, I might had heard the term "fanboy" a few times but not enough for it to register any meaning. But spending the time I have here has changed that. Evident in the fact that the other day my better half casually used the term telling a second hand story and I promptly replied that I didn't like the word and that its not to be used in our house. I was being serious, not stern, but direct and matter of fact. I'm fairly certain I would not have paid any attention to the term before. See what you all have done.

OP
D
Reaction score
william murderface murderface murderface murderface murderface murderface

I only made the switch because we're turning my office (photography company) in to a pure mac office for ease of use. so far i like it a lot, but i still have a place in my heart for PCs...especially the newer processors.....mmm.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before this forum, I might had heard the term "fanboy" a few times but not enough for it to register any meaning. But spending the time I have here has changed that. Evident in the fact that the other day my better half casually used the term telling a second hand story and I promptly replied that I didn't like the word and that its not to be used in our house. I was being serious, not stern, but direct and matter of fact. I'm fairly certain I would not have paid any attention to the term before. See what you all have done.

But I don't get it. To me, fanboyism would be for people to come into a thread like this and leave incoherent posts like "Windows suxorz, Mac RULEZ!!" or walking up to someone on the street using a Windows laptop and yelling "GET A MAC!!".

Having an articulate discussion about why you prefer a Mac over a Windows machine is not fanboyism, nor is explaining why you made the switch or why you're happy you did it.

People need to let this term go already, or at least use it accurately. And by all means, don't go to a Mac forum thinking you're going to find someone singing the praises of Windows, just like you wouldn't walk into a Ford forum expecting to find people touting how great their Chevys are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.