• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning a Super Video CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
Hey guys now this is the delima im in. I recently ripped a DVD and its on my hard drive. When i "Get Info" about it it say that the file is on 1.2Gb. The file type is a .mp4 extention.

Now I hace Toast 6 Titanium as my burning software and when I click on Video thing up the top and change the settings so that it's set to DVD-video over on the left When i drag the file (the one i ripped) onto the program it goes over the marker. Now this for 1 i dont understand due to the fact that a blank dvd is 4.7Gb and the file is only 1.2Gb.

However if i change the settings on the left (on the Toast application) to Super Video CD and then change the disc option from CD (which is default) to DVD the movie file fits.

Now if i burn this as a Super Audio CD but onto a DVD will it work?

Or is there something that I am missing. Could someone please help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
DVDs and Super VCDs use MPEG2 as file format, the diference beetwen each is the resolution of the video. Once you ripped the DVD you change it to MPEG4, that makes it a lot smaller, but you are going back to MPEG2 so it will return to its original size.
Most of the DVD players are read VCD and Super VCD also, so it should work but i have never tired that or heard of something similar (burn SuperVCD in a DVD).
My advice split the movie and burn it in 2 DVDs or use a double-layer DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.