airport extreme connection problems - ip not recognized

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my Linksys wireless router with an airport extreme base station but am not having any luck in setting it up.

I followed all directions, but at the end of the setup, I can't get any internet connection because the "ip address is not recognized."

I have a COMCAST DSL modem that uses DHCP to assign ip addresses. I've tried resetting the COMCAST modem then turning the AEBS, but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I have my Macs running on an Airport Extreme. Here are my Airport tab settings in System Preferences, Network:

Airport - Remember networks checked
TCP/IP - Configure IPv4 Using DHCP, Configure IPv6 Automatically
DNS - 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4
WINS - (no settings)
802.1X - (no settings)
Proxies - Web Proxy checked, Use Passive FTP Mode checked
Ethernet - Configure Automatically, MTU Standard (1500)

Hope that helps.

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, I've tried doing the suggested fixes posted above, but to no avail. At one point, I had a green light on my AEBS, but still no internet access. I then changed one setting (I think it was for the IPv6 mode, but can't remember) then the light turned yellow again, and I haven't been able to get it back to green.

I spoke to a family member (who is a COMCAST guy) but it was over the phone and he really couldn't help me. He did say that I do not need to put in any DNS server addresses, or a router address, that the COMCAST modem will do this automatically.

I finally unplugged my AEBS and put back my old LinkSys router.

Here are the settings I currently have for the AEBS. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help? Settings are:

INTERNET SETTING:
Internet Connection:
Connect using: Ethernet
Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)
TCP/IP:
Configure IPv4 using DHCP
IP Address: (IP address pushed by the modem: 169.254.xxx.xxx)
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Router Address: blank
DNS Servers: blank
Domain Name: blank
DCHP Client ID: blank

ADVANCED SETTING:
IPv6:
IPv6 Mode: Router
Block incoming IPv6 connections: Checked
Configure IPv6: Automatically

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.