PDA

View Full Version : **Help Installing MAC OS 9.2.1**

da95
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi

I have a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio:Oops :, which my friend gave me and the specs are as follows

Dual 553Mhz
DVD Drive
768 mb Ram
80GB Hard Drive

When i got the mac it had a CD drive inside so i replaced it with a DVD drive and noticed that it didn't have a hard drive, so i also installed a Maxtor 80GB.When i start it up i saw a flashing question mark and Mac icon on a grey screen.So i researched and found out it means it can't find a system folder, thats because its a new hard drive i guess.So then i downloaded Mac OS 9.2.1 which i then burnt on to a CD.Then i followed the instructions on the internet, which tell me to hold 'C' when the mac starts.After a while reading the disk it comes up with a grey screen and a flashing question mark but not the mac sign.I could also move the mouse this time.Then after it didn't get further.:(

cradom
01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
1. Just because you burned it doesn't mean it's bootable.
2. I don't think you can legally download 9.2.1 and have a legal system. (mods correct me if I'm wrong)
3. Not all aftermarket dvd/cd drives will boot a mac. Check here http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso for a list of compatible drives.

harryb2448
01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Correct you have to purchase for cash a OS 9 boot disk.

Mac SK
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Needs to be a Full Retail Version..not an update disc. Plus your going to have to format the new hard drive first.

dtravis7
01-04-2010, 12:10 AM
What everyone said here is true. You need a retail version but why bother with OS9? No support. Horrible web browser years out of date.

That machine would run 10.3 Panther or even better, 10.4 Tiger quite well and you will be a lot more up to date and able to do so much more.

da95
01-04-2010, 04:35 AM
What everyone said here is true. You need a retail version but why bother with OS9? No support. Horrible web browser years out of date.

That machine would run 10.3 Panther or even better, 10.4 Tiger quite well and you will be a lot more up to date and able to do so much more.

Yes I would but i read that i need to install OS 9, then get this firmware update for my machine which would allow me to install tiger.I have a tiger cd at home i tried it ,it gets up to the apple screen with spinning thing at the bottom.It spins for a while then stops:Grimmace:

Also how would i format my hard drive when i cant boot into Mac? What format should it be ?

dtravis7
01-04-2010, 04:43 AM
I have never seen a Digital Audio that needed it's firmware updated but I will check to be sure.

What Tiger DVD are you using? Full Retail Black DVD or a copy of Tiger that came with another Mac?

da95
01-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Mac OS X: Available firmware updates (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395)

It says i need update Power Mac G4 Firmware Update 4.2.8. Is there a way to find out what firmware you have ? As i dont know

dtravis7
01-04-2010, 05:02 AM
I see that but I have had probably 5 DA's and never needed to update the firmware even on the early 466 Mhz DA. That is why I am thinking your issue is your Tiger DVD.

I asked you a question, which Tiger DVD is it? One that came with another Mac or Full Retail install DVD? That is very important.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2568?viewlocale=en_US

And as I figured you need to be in Mac OS to find the firmware version. There is a 2nd way but I am pretty sure there has to be an OS on the drive.

You format the drive from Disk Utility in the OSX Installer BTW.

dtravis7
01-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Just tried it to be sure. Should work even without an OS installed. Power on and hold Command+Option+O+F and keep all 4 keys down. A Firmware screen should pop up.

Tried a 533 here and a former 466. Both have the newest firmware and run 10.4 perfectly.

You type bye to get out of Open Firmware.

EDIT: Just checked one last DA that I am giving to a friend. It has one version older firmware but runs and installs 10.4 and even 10.5 (With the utility to change the CPU speed reported to the OS Installer) just fine and never has had any issues running OSX.

da95
01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I have the Tiger retail dvd.I tried instlling it.It comes up with the screen of the apple and a circle which keeps spinning,it doesn't stop