Last Questions sorry lol French

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Hello again,
Thank you for putting up with my novice questions, but I love this Mac and want to learn. Well you see, I am from French Louisiana, and English and French are my two native languages. How would I type the French accent marks using Open Office and then again in the iWork word processor (forget the name)? Thank you in advance for your kindness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Sorry, I don't know what the French accent marks are. Can you find them in your Character Viewer?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, they are definitely there. The thing is, while writing, it is much easier and faster to have a keyboard shortcut, so I should have specified sorry :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open System Preferences, select Keyboard. Now place a checkmark in the box that says "Show Keyboard........"

After doing that, you'll see a small US flag symbol appear in your top menu on the upper right side. Click on that small flag and a dialog will appear. Select "Show Character Viewer". Now pick what category you wish to use. Select the accent you wish and it will appear where your cursor is at. That method will work for Open Office and iWork Pages.

If you're good at writing in French, you can even use the French input language method if you desire. (System Preferences -> Language & Text, select French)

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent. Thank so much! You are all so informative and it really helps a switcher :)

Reaction score
Or you could use option-`, option-e or option-i (as examples) before the letter that you want to accent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
or option - c ç

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel + eMac 1.25 GHz + Black Macbook coreduo 2 Ghz
I spend about an equal amount of time writing in french & english & have found it much easier to have a french keyboard than an english one. This solution may be a little more expensive but will make for much quicker typing. You could order one through Apple canada. You can change keyboard set-ups in System Prefs/ International/Input Menu. You choose which languages you want to use, check the "show input menu in menu bar" and voila you are set up to switch back & forth by clicking on the flag on your menu bar.
If you do go for the french keyboard from apple canada, you will need to check 'Canadian French-CSA' in the International section to have it match your keyboard. On the other hand you wouldn't have to switch back to an english keyboard set up as all the characters you need for typing in english are already there.

Bonne chance petit cousin!

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Merci mon cousin francophone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.