• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Going to see this tomorrow. Only go to the movie theater about twice a year instead of waiting to watch on my home theater.

Wondering if anyone out there has seen either or both and if I'm only going to see one or the other in the theater, which should it be?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Do you really have to ask? 3D all the way!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 266ghz, 4gig, 320gigHD, MacBook, 2.4ghz,250gigHD,4gigRam
Without a doubt, 3D. Some theaters also have it in iMax 3D ,may be overkill though. Try and keep your mouth closed during the movie, it's awesome. I recommend no liquids before or during movie, its 2hr40min runtime.

Rick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
3D for sure! I thought it would be the older 3D movies with a lot of ghosting and blurry scenes but this advance or "Real D 3D" is just mind blowing.

You'll notice it when the green screen shows before each trailer the words are just popping out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Saw it in 2D, would see it in 3D again...might as well just go big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I am also debating 3D. Particularly because the first 3D movie I've seen in 20 yrs was last year (Disney's Pixar Up) and it made me quite nauseous. It was like having motion sickness. Is the 3D in Avatar different? I'm excited to see it but don't want it ruined by getting sick. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
I am also debating 3D. Particularly because the first 3D movie I've seen in 20 yrs was last year (Disney's Pixar Up) and it made me quite nauseous. It was like having motion sickness. Is the 3D in Avatar different? I'm excited to see it but don't want it ruined by getting sick. :Oops:

I haven't seen UP in 3D but I didn't get sick with the 3D version of Avatar.

Picture is clean! No ghosting, shadowing, or blurs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've heard that to really appreciate the visuals, you need to see it in 3D. The storyline is pretty good, but it does lose steam toward the second half. You might as well be drawn in by the 3D effect to enjoy it the most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Definitely go to 3D. I think it was much more entertaining than 2D. I have heard seeing it in iMax 3D is simply amazing but I don't have an iMax near me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You have to see it 3-D. I went to see it with some friends and saw the regular version. Then I went with my gf and she wanted to see the 3-d version. It was as if I was watching a whole other movie! To me, this movie had the best graphic content out of any movie I have ever watched! You will pay a couple of bucks more, but it is worth it. We saw it at an imax theater, which puts you at the center of an oval screen... which feels better than a regular 3d movie at a normal theater because the imax theater surround you with a screen and puts you at the center, unlike a normal theater where you see a screen but the contents on the screen are in 3d.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I watched it in iMax 3D

It was really, really, really cool.

After 2 hours, though, my head started to hurt because the glasses they give you are on the small side...

I would watch it in 3D for sure!

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
3D it was. Though not iMax.

Pretty impressive movie. Definitely worth the trip to the theater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I couldent imagine watching that movie any less than IMAX Bob get ready for visual Candyfest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
We're seeing it in 3D IMAX tomorrow, and don't think there's a point in seeing it any other way considering the lack of original story. I guess there's also no point for me period, seeing as how the language will be in Hungarian :'( But that doesn't bother me either, considering I've seen this movie at least 20 times in my life or more.. Dances With Wolves anyone ? Or how about Pocahontas:

http://files.posterous.com/shareabl...808985&Signature=8DqLiYeVrZh4K2L/6zI0mN64iVY=

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, I saw it in 3D last Friday.
The movie was pretty good. Not my favorite or nearly as amazing as everyone made it sound. I don't see the big deal. It had too much CGI for my taste. Like watching a cartoon. If I want to see an animated movie, I'll see an animated movie... like Toy Story, Shrek, Ice Age, etc.

The 3D was still too much for my eyes. It didn't make me nearly as nauseous as when I saw UP. These glasses were more uncomfortable, though. Kept slipping off my face and were heavy and clunky. :(
I guess the thing about 3D is it makes me feel like I'm 2 inches from the screen and I can't focus on everything that is going on. I miss too much and feel like my peripheral vision is being overworked. I like to sit way in the back of a theatre so I can take it all in and see everything at once. 3D glasses defeat this purpose and ruin the movie for me.

My wife wants to go see it again in the theatre, but I can guarantee you I won't be seeing it in 3D again. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
It's a good movie. I saw it in 3D and it is so much more fun with the graphics looking even more amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I can't see 3D movies. Every theater in my area is playing only the 3D version, so I cannot see Avatar in the theaters. I seriously hope 3D movies aren't the thing of the future, since I am going to feel pretty left out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.