• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

X Box 360 vs PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
hey just wondering which one you guys prefer, 360 or PS3, which one you think has better graphics and gameplay.

personally i think the xbox has better game play and controllers but the graphics on PS3 are ridiculous, also i love playing sport games on PS3, the only sport game i like more on 360 is NHL 10. i have both PS3 and 360..just wondering what you guys think about both systems...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27in. Dual Core 3.06GHz
I also have both systems. I use the 360 to play games and to download/watch TV shows. The PS3 I strictly use for Blu-Ray movies. I have more blu-ray movies though than 360 games.

Here's an old picture of my setup. Both systems are still in the same location.

IMG_6665.JPG

Reaction score
I own all 3 current systems and as of NOW, the PS3 is hands down the best.

Upon first release, (remember the 360 had a year head start on the PS3) the 360 was the better system. Over the last couple of years however, the PS3 has steadily closed the gap, and in 2009, overtook the 360 as THE console.

blu-ray, wi-fi out of the box, amazing exclusives, wireless rechargeable controller out of the box, and stability, not to mention the $299 price tag for a 120GB it's no doubt the console worth the purchase.

Now, the 360 is good in it's own right, with some great exclusives as well, but it doesn't match what the PS3 offers... The graphics on the PS3 exclusives are sick.. MGS4, Uncharted 1 & 2 and Killzone 2 are all ridiculous looking.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i love both systems but the XBOX has better controllers hands down....ive been playing NHL 10 and NBA 10 on PS3 all day today and i play NHL 10 on xbox360 like a fiend and the controllers on the ps3 for nhl are just not comparable to the 360. now NBA is freakin AMAZING!! i love sport games on PS3 its just crazy (besides NHL) the graphics are just incredible, both systems are worth the money, i just got the new 120gb ps3 slim and i kind of like it more then my old original ps3. i also rented MX VS ATV reflex for 360 and its amazing on that system, and once again the controllers for that on ps3 can not compare to 360 bc i downloaded the demo on ps3 for it. so there are both pros and cons w. comparing the 2 systems. they are both amazing systems though. i just want to get the Logitech G27 racing wheel when GT5 comes out. look up that steering wheel, real feeling pedals including a clutch and a 6 speed manual shifter that feels real.
But i see what you're saying with the PS3 coming with blu-ray out of the box, thats also why you're spending an extra $100 bux for a blu ray player. its well worth the money because if you were to buy a blu ray player on its own you would be spending just as much as a PS3 so why not buy a PS3? sometimes people dont think lol.

and yes i do have Wii also but that isnt even on the level ps3 n 360 are on, that system is just to fool around with and to be a nice shelf ornament haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.53GHz,4GB RAM, 320GB HD
hmm..

well in a way if you think about it there both really grate machines
but the way i see it is you cant quite compare the two...
many people (including myself) have both systems for specific reasons
i mean blue ray **** yeah and all the online stuff on the box :)
i mean there both really grate just depends what you want it for...
but some say im stupid for saying that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I prefer the Xbox 360.

The PS3 is hands down better than the 360, but all of my friends have an Xbox so I play the Xbox.

People mention the graphics on the PS3, but I don't really see a difference... It may have more power, but I don't think they are utilizing that power....

RE5 is one of the best looking games I've ever played and it is available for the 360 and PS3....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I owned both systems at one point. My opinion might be due to the fact that when I had my ps3, there were not that many games, and online gaming was PITIFUL! To me, the ps3 has too much for it. It's not a real gaming console anymore, its a media player. For gaming, I will always prefer the 360, even though I'm on my second one because my first had the 3RROD. I wouldn't mind having a ps3, as long as I could also have the 360 right next to it. If I were only allowed to have 1 console, it would always be the 360, no doubt about it. When I, or you, buy a gaming console, I/you should buy the one that draws you in because it does what it does better, and that is gaming. I don't care about all the other features. The wireless feature is stupid in my opinion...online multiplayer and wireless are two things that should never be put together. The one thing that I will always want that my ps3 had was bluetooth. Having the ability to use any bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and, best one of all, ANY bluetooth headset, is awesome! I hate being limited to the same crap headphones for the 360. But, like I said, I am drawn to the one that offers a better gaming experience.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It all depends on what games you like to play. Sometimes the PS3 gets titles that XboX doesn't get and vice versa.

Reaction score
I agree with the PS3 people, I love mine, the free internet play is amazing, the Blu Ray player is a nice add on, ect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4
I used to own both and I say PS3. they are both good consoles, but the PS3 just had better graphics and features i liked better and unlike prior statements i have always liked the playstation controllers better than xbox...

Now i like the wii better, just downloaded cruisin usa, old school and friggin sweet...

Reaction score
I prefer the Xbox 360.

The PS3 is hands down better than the 360, but all of my friends have an Xbox so I play the Xbox.

People mention the graphics on the PS3, but I don't really see a difference... It may have more power, but I don't think they are utilizing that power....

RE5 is one of the best looking games I've ever played and it is available for the 360 and PS3....

You won't see the graphics difference unless you're playing a PS3 exclusive.

Check out Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, or Uncharted 2, among others..

Uncharted 2 has THE best console graphics out there.. Simply stunning game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
PS3 any day! But to be honest a lot of it is down to personal opinion!

For me PS3 because:-
Better exclusive games
Better controllers (Ergonomically and their rechargeable)
Good free online (Just as good as 360 imo never had problems with it)
A LOT quieter
Plays Blu-Rays
Built in Wi-Fi
You can upgrade the hard drive to whatever size you like for free!!
Optical Sound output

That should be enough reasons ;) lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I would look at the catalogue of games for each system. Current and future releases and pick the one based on the games you would like. As for me the pucture/sound quality for both is about the same for me. And sure the PS3's blue ray player is a nice feature but with Blue ray players coming down in price so drastically of recent. It's not worth getting the PS3 just for the Blue Ray player.

And if the range of games you want are on both consoles then just try out each controller and pick the one you like the best as you have to spend hours playing it. I know I know a pretty vague answer from me. But really I don't see one being drastically better than the other. They're about the same to me in most ways.

and yes i do have Wii also but that isnt even on the level ps3 n 360 are on, that system is just to fool around with and to be a nice shelf ornament haha

Of cause not. They are aimed at a totally different market. As they sell way better then PS3s and Xbox 360's. But this is not a Wii bashing thread. To stay on topic please.

Reaction score
Personally I would look at the catalogue of games for each system. Current and future releases and pick the one based on the games you would like. As for me the pucture/sound quality for both is about the same for me. And sure the PS3's blue ray player is a nice feature but with Blue ray players coming down in price so drastically of recent. It's not worth getting the PS3 just for the Blue Ray player.

And if the range of games you want are on both consoles then just try out each controller and pick the one you like the best as you have to spend hours playing it. I know I know a pretty vague answer from me. But really I don't see one being drastically better than the other. They're about the same to me in most ways.

Actually, the PS3 would be worth buying as just a blu-ray player. It's rated as a top 5 blu-ray player in the market and is Sony's baby, so it will get continuos firmware updates.

The PS3 is no doubt the better value. Some things it has over the 360 out of the box:

wi-fi (360's wi-fi adapter was $99 last I looked)
rechargeable controller (another $20 to add this to your 360 controller)
blu-ray
120GB HDD, which is upgradeable with 2.5" SATA standard laptop hdd's.
Free online (Live, while good for all the extra frills, is still $50 a year)
Real Internet access/web browser

Yes, I do think Live is a TAD better than PSN, it's not worth $50 more. Once you get into a game lobby, there is absolutely 0 difference between the two. Live makes it easier to invite friends to different games and what not, but a lot of the other 'extras' are kind of useless.

If you have a nice HD TV set up, it should be a law to have a PS3 accompanying it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That's exactly what I mean.

If you want the PS3's extras you said above sure go for that. But for the crowd who only want a good game to play they are about the same. Well it depends who you're talking about, game player or tech head and enthausiast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Own both. The 360 is barely ever touched except when there's an exclusive I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Own both. The 360 is barely ever touched except when there's an exclusive I want.

Same thing here. I have not turned the 360 on for over 6 months. Just ask my neighbors. They can confirm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
Same thing here. I have not turned the 360 on for over 6 months. Just ask my neighbors. They can confirm.

Same for me as well! Not even the exclusives are tempting me anymore! It's all boxed up!

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i take back NHL 10 sucking for PS3....thats all ive been playin for the past 3 days. im starting to like my PS3 more and more :) i still love the box though. if ya got both of em, then you're golden hehe. also have Wii and it is fun to play tennis on :^D !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Plus my PS3 is the 80GB MSG edition. Backwards compatibility, built in wireless, all the USB ports, HDMI included, and a ton of other options. The 360 is a 20GB unit without an HDMI connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.