Apple TV vs. Macbook

Reaction score
Call me a noob. Ok, now that that is out of the way...

What does an Apple TV do exactly? Well better question, what does an Apple TV do that you can't do by just hooking up your macbook into the tv?

The geek in me wants to buy this product, but the rational side tells me to just plug in my laptop. Any advice on which side of me I should listen to?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The MacBook will do everything the Apple TV will do and then some. If you are OK with the hassle of hooking it up to the TV, by all means just use the MacBook. I have one because I am lazy. I have a Mini hooked up to my big TV and an Apple TV hooked up to the bedroom TV. The MacBook Pro stays in the office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The Macbook will do what the ATV does, without the slick user interface, for about $775 more....

It's nice to have all of my media easily and readily accessible at the tough of a button whenever I want it. No messing with cables, no plugging or unplugging. It just works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The interface is cool and slick, but I can do much better on the Mac with a front end like Boxee, Plex, and a few others.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I already have the MBP and have been hooking it up to the TV for some time now. I just was looking for a new toy. Lately I have been leaning towards acquiring a Mac Mini to hook up to TV permanently. This seems like the best option for what I want to do. I already have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse that i use when the MBP is hooked up. And this gives me more flexibility and control...and Im afraid that trumps sleek interface.

Thanks for replies!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.