Power Failure Caused Video Problems ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Power Failure Caused Video Problems ....

Yesterday our neighbor was messing around with the circuit breakers and cut the power to our dining room, which turned off my external HD.

I can still boot from the external HD, but there is a serious video problem now. I'm still online with the external HD, but having visual difficulty with certain things (buttons, links, scroll tabs, and pictures are really bad quality, e-mail hard to see ...).

I can still boot from the internal HD (iBook G4), and the video is just fine. So the problem doesn't seem to be with the iBook's video card.

I reinstalled Tiger (10.4) on the external HD, but still have the same problem.

I ran Disk Warrior and Disk Utility, but still have the same problem.

Any ideas what might be the problem, and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
It sounds like the external HD may be booting up in safe mode with forced low resolution.

Try running this command in Terminal: sudo nvram boot-args=""

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
It sounds like the external HD may be booting up in safe mode with forced low resolution.

Exactly how do I perform this operation ... ???

I want to make sure that I don't end up stuck, and not able to boot my computer ... !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Open Terminal (Applications>Utilities) and copy the "sudo..." text in the prompt.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
How to Use Terminal Command ....

I tried using the Terminal command, but when the computer asked for my password, I couldn't figure out how to enter the password. I tried typing my password, but nothing happened ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is what usually happens keeps it secret from anyone watching. Go back to Terminal, type in password and hit return key.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
That is what usually happens keeps it secret from anyone watching. Go back to Terminal, type in password and hit return key.

I tried that and still no luck ....

Reaction score
Wha tdid we learn form this boys an dgirls?...UPS live by it its a one time investment that wil save multiple high dollar/time investments

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.