what is a decent broadband speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im movin home for a while after college and i am not going to be able to deal with having to use a modem all of the time (plus it doesnt work on my PB). i was looking into getting verizon DSL, and price is going to be a major playing in getting this. there seems to be 3 plans available on the website:
up to 5MBPS/2MBPS for 40/month
up to 12/2 for 50/month
up to 30/5 for 200/month

basically between the first two what is the best option?? mainly i would be using the internet for surfing and downloading programs

im also open to other options that are available in north NJ
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
5mbps is definitely more than adequate.

See if Optimum Online is available in your area

J

JSchultz

whoa, 5 mb would be alot.

im on a DSL line that's a paltry 768 mb...

I can DL pretty decently with it.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea i can get optimum online at home as well....yet the site will not tell me anything about speeds other tahn "150x faster than...." price is 49.99...and i think we have their cable tv so we could save 5 bucks a month on that....but then again we actually just won a 50-inch HD plasma tv so my dad was thinking about upgrading the cable to HD so i dont know what the heck is going to go on with that right now

S

SErgini0

Quite frankly all depends on you application. I am quite happy with a 2/1 Mbps.

T

Tel

I have 1.5mbps and I get about 120Kbps down and about 15kbps up, its ok for browsing the net and downloading stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
Im on my laptop running wireless internet through a router from my cable internet and I got

4337 Down and 979 Up.

Im assuming thats good?

J

JSchultz

holy cow...thats 4.3 mbps! My girlfriend gets 2.2, and I thought that was good. Once again, im the slowest kid on the block with 768 down. Boo.

F

fletch_a_sketch

Why are British people left with rubbish ? I only just got 2MB DL after running on a paltry 56kb (actual 36kb), we dont even get 5MB per sec unless you pay over £50 per month ! 2meg is easily enough !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.