PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Upgrade option

Mmachine78
12-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi,
I have just got a MacBook pro for christmas (my first one!) and i am looking to install windows 7 via bootcamp.
I have read a thread on here that says i can use the student upgrade option to do a clean install, i live in the UK and can get this for about 30 but it does state that a previous version of windows is needed.
So can i buy this and do a clean install on my macbook and if so is there anything different i have to do? i noticed somewhere someone mentioned it might have to be installed without adding he licence key then re-installed?
Any help is much welcome as new to all this!!
Cheers
Mmachine78

chscag
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Windows 7 will install clean. You do not need a previous version of Windows in order to install it. Also, you can enter your product key and activate it without having to reinstall.

Regards.

zerotangent
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I had the exact same question, I'm about 5 minutes from buying Windows 7 with the student price but I just wanted to double check that it would work. Even though its a download version and not on a disk it will still install correctly with bootcamp? I won't have to burn it to a disk for the installation?

sh1znack
12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Careful with the 64-bit version. A number of people (myself included) have not been able to boot the 64-bit CD. The 32-bit will work just fine though.

Mmachine78
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the reply's.
I have managed to get a retail copy for a decent price so have gone for that as there seems to be conflicted answers in different forums / threads i have read.
Thanks again.
Mmachine78

chscag
12-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Windows 7 upgrade DVD 32 bit or 64 bit will install clean without a previous version of Windows being present. Enter the product key and activate it on the first install. It will activate with MS over the net without any difficulty. I have done it, others have done it, and if you read the latest information from Brian Livingston (his newsletter) you will see that is also what he recommends.

Regards.

sh1znack
12-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Windows 7 upgrade DVD 32 bit or 64 bit will install clean without a previous version of Windows being present. Enter the product key and activate it on the first install. It will activate with MS over the net without any difficulty. I have done it, others have done it, and if you read the latest information from Brian Livingston (his newsletter) you will see that is also what he recommends.

Regards.

Have you successfully done the 64-bit install yourself?

chscag
12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Careful with the 64-bit version. A number of people (myself included) have not been able to boot the 64-bit CD. The 32-bit will work just fine though.

No problems here. As long as you're not trying to update a 32 bit version with the 64 bit DVD, it will boot fine. What problem did you have with it?

Have you successfully done the 64-bit install yourself?

I choose instead to install the 32 bit version because of several games I have that will not run in 64 bit (no openGL drivers). However, the 64 bit DVD boots fine. Also, others here have successfully installed the 64 bit version.

Regards.

sh1znack
12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
No problems here. As long as you're not trying to update a 32 bit version with the 64 bit DVD, it will boot fine. What problem did you have with it?

I choose instead to install the 32 bit version because of several games I have that will not run in 64 bit (no openGL drivers). However, the 64 bit DVD boots fine. Also, others here have successfully installed the 64 bit version.

Regards.

I get the infamous "Boot CD Type" message. My machine is in the list of compatible devices for Windows Vista 64-bit so I don't know why it isn't letting me boot. There is nothing wrong with the media (I tested it on 2 non-Mac machines).