My Macbook can't recover from network problems.

Reaction score
I am at my sisters and her DSL isn't the best.

Her Windows XP desktop (connected wirelessly) immediately recovers from any network problem with no user intervention and so fast you only notice if you are streaming audio/vidio.

My ipod touch also seems to have no problems recovering. If a page fails to load, it will have fixed everything by the time I reload the page.

However on my Macbook it will show that I am connected and have a strong signal but nothing works. The only way I can fix it is by turning airport on an of a few times.

So is there anything I can do to improve things?

BTW distance from the router isn't a factor. Two rooms away or two feet away the Internet still freezes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Yes - you could set up a Location just for your Sisters and select that each time you visit.
Go in thru Apple menu to Network Preferences and add a Location along with Airport selected in left Pane click 'Advanced' make sure it set to using DHCP and include DNS numbers if needed shown here.

Click for full size

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks but I already know how to configure multiple settings for multiple locations. That isn't my problem.

My sisters DSL cuts out for a fraction of a second, sometimes once an hour, sometimes every couple minutes.

Her Xbox360, Windows XP Desktop, PSP, and my iPod all handle this in stride, so much so that unless you are in the middle of a real time video/voice chat you will notice nothing.

My Macbook on the other hand losses all connectivity while still reporting that I am connected and showing a good signal strength. Nothing working until I turn airport on and off again.

This kills my downloads, ends all my chats ... and its a real pain.

I want to know if there is a application or setting that will change this so that my Macbook behaves like all those other wifi devices, and simply fixes itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.