Using my Mac as a wireless adapter

Reaction score
Hi.
I got a mac for christmas, and rather then spending any money at all to connect my xbox 360 to the internet, I figured I would set it up through the mac as a wireless adapater via the included ethernet cord.. It almost works, but under preferences, it says that the ethernet has a self determined ip adress. The actual airporty stuff works fun, its just that the etherent has a self determined Ip adress.

Thanks,
Jonny

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We have countless threads on this subject, so I'll save you some time and aggravation: It's just not worth the hassle - even when it does work, it's not stable and your Mac must remain turned on for the connection to persist.

Pick up a cheap wireless router (or if you already have one, pick up a wireless adapter for the xbox) and call it a day. Some things are just not worth the headache.

OP
J
Reaction score
Allrighty, thank you for the answer. I guess I'll go out and buy that rip off of a adapter. xD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.