How can i get started with app development?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been looking into Objective C, and I'm curious and would like to start developing iTouch/iPhone apps.

I've got some experience with AS2 (flash,) but i would like to start with apps.

I'm running Windows Vista, and I'm wondering how i can get started with Objective C, (in terms of downloading xcode, compilers, interface builders, or whatever..) as i don't really have a clue how to set everything up.

I downloaded and installed some GNU-step files.. but i don't know what to do now. If anybody can suggest some advice or maybe a few links on how to get the environment set up, and the text editor, compiler, and everything, then i'll be grateful.

Any form of Help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ricardo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Developing for iPhone requires Mac OS X. Some third party development tools have appeared this year, but I think they too would require a Mac.

To learn Objective-C, the GNU stuff would be a fine starting place for the basics. GNUstep may get you a little further. Here is a presentation on that.

Really though, it is best to get a copy of Mac OS X, versions 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard), join the iPhone developer site on Apple for free to download the latest developer tools and play with them and the iPhone simulator. To test your apps on devices and to distribute your apps will require a $100 developer fee that is good for a year.

Although others have loaded OS X on non-Mac hardware, Apple does not license it that way and does not condone it.

OP
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for your help. I tried to download SDK from the Apple iPhone development center.. but it always says "processing request, refresh the page in a momment.." and i can never get to download it.

I'll try running objective c on windows, and, if unsucsessful, i may purchase an inexpensive mac book or something to develop apps on.

I was also wondering, what text editor should i use? (or does that come with the SDK package? - iPhone Dev Center - Apple Developer Connection )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
The development tools come with a program called XCode that includes a pretty powerful editor. You can also use any other editor that you prefer, though, such as Vim, TextMate, or whatever else.

You should be fine running Objective-C and GNUStep under Windows, but as xstep said, you'll need OS X and the developer tools for the Cocoa Touch framework that is used in iPhone development. There's plenty of online documentation, but if you want a good book to learn, I recommend Stephen Kochan's Programming in Objective-C 2.0. I read the original version, and it's a great book. There are also plenty of iPhone development books out there, but I can't recommend any single one.

OP
Reaction score
Alright thanks for that. I'll probably just program some basic programs in Objective C and if i get better then i might purchase a Mac for app development. (for now i'll buy that book you suggested - i've seen a lot of obj. c books but i wasn't sure until now which one to go for.)

However i've tried downloading xcode from the apple website, but it keeps saying "Processing request, refresh in a momment.." and i keep refreshing/waiting and it doesn't work.

Does this usually happen when the website is busy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I''m not sure why you would be getting the download problem. That isn't normal. Downloading the very latest isn't absolutely required. The tools come with the latest OS X release.

If you buy a Macbook or Mac mini, make sure it is Intel if you buy used. The iPhone tools are not designed to work on the older Power PC processors, particularly the iPhone simulator. By clicking on 'About This Mac' under the Apple symbol on the menu, a window will appear with the processor information and memory information.

For now I'm using the default text editor built into the XCode IDE. As nabl mentioned, you can set up XCode to use the editor of your choice. Emacs is installed in OS X, but there are a few nice third party editors available.

Although automatic garbage collection has been added to Objective-C, the older method of retaining and releasing objects is used for the iPhone. Keep that in mind when reading about Objective-C 2.0.

fov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.8 15" & Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 9.04
I had the 'processing request' problem when I signed up for the iPhone SDK. I used an existing account which I then signed up to the iPhone program (free) too but when I created a new account for just the iPhone SDK it worked fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.