photo manager for mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I need to take a lot of pics for my work.
Have to maintain hundreds of folders which are in sequential order - then every folder has several sub-folders ..
Which photo manager would be the best for this kind of work?
Do not require photo editing .. or any other fancy stuff ..
Just a good photo manager that can maintain folders (in sequential order) with sub-folders and if possible something that can provide fast search capability.

i thought that iphoto was excellent for personal snaps - and prefer to keep my work related photos separately.

i have tried Picasa and its good - is there anything better?

thank you for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
OMG!!!! Yes of course ...!!!!!
How stupid of me not to realise that ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Well, I used Picassa on the PC from version 1 and continue to use it on the Mac - I find it does what I need and so I always keep my photos in separate folders as well as in iPhoto library. Takes up space, but I hate the way I can't get at the pics other than through iPhoto - don't know who thought of that, but he wasn't a photographer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Finder might be alright until you find something which is also able to tag things for you. You might be interested in trying :

Photo Mechanic This is a 20 day trial version. Nothing to lose. I personally use Lightroom 2 for pretty much everything but have heard great things about Photo Mechanic. I'm sure there's more I can suggest.. give me a bit.

Doug

Edit:Check out the tutorials on that site. First one is good. Big long winded, but you can skip ahead to the middle then the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Kinda pricey, but Adobe Bridge that comes with Photoshop is pretty good. I choose things like Bridge if I'm not resorting to Finder with my pictures because unlike iPhoto it does not 'import' images and degrade the resolution. I'm a real stickler for image quality. Though to be honest i'm really not since I don't usually shoot in RAW unless I'm doing something Real Important. Since I don't get paid for my photography most of what I shoot isn't Real Important® therefore I shoot at highest quality jpeg. If I'm shooting RAW I'm getting paid or experimenting with the format. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ah yes. How could I forget ? Walkerj is right. Bridge is also a great alternative, but also a bit pricey I"m sure. I don't know how much it costs on its own, I have CS4 and it came with it. I actually used to use it before Lightroom and it is really great.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
thank you so very much for all the help - very deeply appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
GraphicConverter

Maybe has more features than you need, but is a great bit of software. I've been using it for years now..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.