• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AT&T Slime

Reaction score
We are completely fed up with AT&T. We will be jailbreaking my wife’s iPhone tomorrow and I will NOT be buying the iPhone that I had planned to buy until Apple gets an alternative to AT&T.

My wife bought our kids each an $80 AT&T phone to replace their pre-paid AT&T Go phones. The younger son decided he didn’t want to replace his old phone, so she took the unopened, unactivated phone back to the AT&T store. They said there was a $35 “restocking charge” for returning the $80 phone. When my wife asked why they hadn’t told her about the restocking charge before she bought the phones they said the notice about that is clearly printed on the back of the receipt. Never mind that the receipt isn’t available to read until after you’ve bought the phone. They then said that if she hadn’t left the store with the phone they could have taken the phone back without the restocking charge, but that since she had left the store with the phone there was nothing they could do. Of course, this simply demonstrates that had they WANTED to they could have given her a full refund, and it wasn’t really “out of their hands”.

It gets better. Not being one to take abuse without a fight, my wife then stood outside the store attempting to sell the unopened phone to passersby, explaining about the restocking charge and why she was trying to resell the phone. The manager of the AT&T store then approached her saying he was going to call the mall security guard if she didn’t leave. Her response was to call the guard herself and ask how far she needed to be from the AT&T store to be legal. The guard advised her that it wasn’t permitted to sell anything on mall property without a lease agreement. My wife then went to see the mall manager, who ended up buying the phone from her at the original retail price.

AT&T will never see another dime from us…EVER! No matter what! For any product or service! I am an Apple investor, and I will oppose any further dependence or association with AT&T for Apple. Apple is a reputable company. AT&T are simply pirates out to rape the public at every opportunity. Die, AT&T, just die!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Die, AT&T, just die!

Agreed.
I hate AT&T, they have awful coverage and awful customer service.

I have switched to T-Mobile and I plan to stay with it.

It has better coverage than AT&T, better customer service, and is a lot cheaper!

Sorry for your experience with AT&T, but there are other, better services out there. =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
We are completely fed up with AT&T. We will be jailbreaking my wife’s iPhone tomorrow and I will NOT be buying the iPhone that I had planned to buy until Apple gets an alternative to AT&T.

My wife bought our kids each an $80 AT&T phone to replace their pre-paid AT&T Go phones. The younger son decided he didn’t want to replace his old phone, so she took the unopened, unactivated phone back to the AT&T store. They said there was a $35 “restocking charge” for returning the $80 phone. When my wife asked why they hadn’t told her about the restocking charge before she bought the phones they said the notice about that is clearly printed on the back of the receipt. Never mind that the receipt isn’t available to read until after you’ve bought the phone. They then said that if she hadn’t left the store with the phone they could have taken the phone back without the restocking charge, but that since she had left the store with the phone there was nothing they could do. Of course, this simply demonstrates that had they WANTED to they could have given her a full refund, and it wasn’t really “out of their hands”.

It gets better. Not being one to take abuse without a fight, my wife then stood outside the store attempting to sell the unopened phone to passersby, explaining about the restocking charge and why she was trying to resell the phone. The manager of the AT&T store then approached her saying he was going to call the mall security guard if she didn’t leave. Her response was to call the guard herself and ask how far she needed to be from the AT&T store to be legal. The guard advised her that it wasn’t permitted to sell anything on mall property without a lease agreement. My wife then went to see the mall manager, who ended up buying the phone from her at the original retail price.

AT&T will never see another dime from us…EVER! No matter what! For any product or service! I am an Apple investor, and I will oppose any further dependence or association with AT&T for Apple. Apple is a reputable company. AT&T are simply pirates out to rape the public at every opportunity. Die, AT&T, just die!

Someone forgot to take their meds today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Yeah I left AT&T for TMobile and LOVE it! They are the best network but they do the trick for where I live and their customer service is amazing. I've talked with many employees and ex-employees who all say they pride themselves on customer service at TMobile and low prices for plans which they obviously do. Give them a shot or do some research on them, it's a great company that I really hope doesn't become too dwarfed by Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I am sorry to hear of your problem with your local AT&T store. But I have to say that I for one ( and I may be the only one it seems ) have not had a single problem with AT&T and I have been with them since the 1st week end the iPhone hit the market. While it is true that I have had to contact customer suport a time or two they have always handled my issues with with a great degree of curtisity and professionalism. I have upgraded twice and added a second line then canceled that line all with no trouble.

Now I don't travel much so the map of 3g coverage doesn't bother me at all as all of Lincoln Nebraska has great coverage. Is it really fare to blame an entire company for the ineptness of a couple of people in a local store ?

clayneal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sorry to hear of your problem with your local AT&T store. But I have to say that I for one ( and I may be the only one it seems ) have not had a single problem with AT&T and I have been with them since the 1st week end the iPhone hit the market. While it is true that I have had to contact customer suport a time or two they have always handled my issues with with a great degree of curtisity and professionalism. I have upgraded twice and added a second line then canceled that line all with no trouble.

Now I don't travel much so the map of 3g coverage doesn't bother me at all as all of Lincoln Nebraska has great coverage. Is it really fare to blame an entire company for the ineptness of a couple of people in a local store ?

clayneal

Agreed. I've had far better experiences dealing with AT&T than I ever did with the clods that worked for Verizon. As far as coverage, I do travel a lot and have little to no issues with 3G data. Voice, well that is substandard to Verizon IMO. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has one of the worst services in greater Southern California. I know people who can't get a T-Mobile signal in their own homes and have to go outside to make calls. In fact, I know more people who have switched to AT&T or Verizon away from T-Mobile because their horrible service. Then again, T-Mobile IS cheaper than AT&T or Verizon so you get what you pay for I suppose...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Yeah I left AT&T for TMobile and LOVE it! They are the best network but they do the trick for where I live and their customer service is amazing. I've talked with many employees and ex-employees who all say they pride themselves on customer service at TMobile and low prices for plans which they obviously do. Give them a shot or do some research on them, it's a great company that I really hope doesn't become too dwarfed by Verizon.

Oh you mean T-Mobile's outages? Like the one last month where 1.7 million people didn't have GPRS data? Or like Thursday where we had no ability to use the phone or text? That's when they finally launched 3G in our area, which using everyday is about the same speed atEDGE. I like how they advertise "national 3G coverage"

Uhm, no I don't think so. It took them till Q4 of 2009 to launch it in several major cities, including Cinci. Have you seen their 3G map? It's hysterical. They are way behind in the technology. They used to be awesome, I had the best service ever, had more than 4 bars everywhere. Butrecently, their coverage has been no more than 3 bars, and sometimes I get no service. Right now I am in a very largely populated area, One of the more major areas of Louisville, and I have 1 bar. My friend, natedadude, upgraded to AT&T 3G, and gets 5 bars just about everywhere he goes, and has 3G that is FAST. At the moment, I don't think T-Mobile is ready for the smartphone era. They can't even keep up with the current technology. I don't see why they are the only major phone company that does not have a comparable 3G map.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Agreed. I've had far better experiences dealing with AT&T than I ever did with the clods that worked for Verizon. As far as coverage, I do travel a lot and have little to no issues with 3G data. Voice, well that is substandard to Verizon IMO. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has one of the worst services in greater Southern California. I know people who can't get a T-Mobile signal in their own homes and have to go outside to make calls. In fact, I know more people who have switched to AT&T or Verizon away from T-Mobile because their horrible service. Then again, T-Mobile IS cheaper than AT&T or Verizon so you get what you pay for I suppose...
I'm from Southern California too.

At my house, I do not get service with Verizon or AT&T, but I have full service with T-Mobile. Probably just depends where exactly you live. :D

Reaction score
yea, coverage is different in different places. i usually get 4 bars on my iphone where i live(long island) but if i go down to south carolina, i get a consistent 1-2 bars. its extremely annoying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I love you at&t!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love you at&t!

I'm with you. My contract is up in about 6 months. I'll be buying an new iPhone (hopefully 64Gb by then) and signing another 2 year contract. Verizon hasn't shown me anything that makes it worth my while to switch back, including Android, and don't even get me started on T-Mobile.

Reaction score
I think of a lot of it depends on where you live. Since the iPhone is currently only with AT&T that is why I bypassed it (I use an Apple computer) and decided to go with the Pre (in addition to my being used to, and liking the Palm OS.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have tmobile in Central FL, I get really good 3G coverage on my Blackberry, Plus it's significantly cheaper than ATT/VERIZON. The other thing I have on Tmobile that I like is UMA which is really great considering there is wifi almost everywhere you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've only had two minor problems with AT&T's DSL service, and occasional phone outages due to critters playing with wires outside.

My latest DSL problem was this morning: no connection! I unplugged the router, and restarted the Mac. At first, I got the same connection error. I also noticed a buzzing noise, which lasted for a minute or two. When the buzzing stopped, the connection went through. But, that wasn't the problem. There is still an intermittent buzzing that I cannot pinpoint.

Anyway, in your position, maybe you should write a polite letter to AT&T Customer Service and explain why the restocking fee is unreasonable in your view. It can't hurt, if done with class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I have to say I haven't had issues with their customer service yet...although I do hate their prices and fees.

I live here in Dallas and I have dropped calls all the time. 3G is more or less ok, but I have dropped calls so often that it's really pissing me off. There seem to be a lot of spotty areas around here too...but I've been with them all and it all seems the same to me.

That being said...it would be very nice to see apple go someplace else :)

jah

Reaction score
dont get me wrong, i get poor ATT voice reception where i live in denver co. Calling tec support there is no plan. customer support says; "they never get voice service complaints in my area" and tec support says; "i live 5 miles from the nearest cell tower with a few obstructions so just too bad"

-the voice is bad, data reception is functional, maybe att should ask its iphone users to not talk as much.

-poor voice, how do we know its not a iphone design issue?

-how do we know its a 3G issue where the 3g never designed to do what is now needed.

on different phones:
friends Verizon account also drops calls where i live. i had a t-mo with better results. thought you had 3 days to break the contract.

Reaction score
If you go to Consumer Reports for the past years including this year you will see several very important things:

Customer Service at Verizon 1st Place
Customer Service at AT&T 4th Place

Dropped Calls also puts AT&T at dead last out of the 4 main cell phone carriers.

Iphone 1st place for any cellphone on AT&T by 3 or 4 points I believe.

Sadly this is the trade off. A great cellphone/smrtphone on a terrible network with terrible customer service.

Granted not EVERYONE has terrible customer service with AT&T but it is well documented that they will not bend over backwards for you.

With the cellphone company I use, I have upgraded my phone at least 4 times WAY before my 2 year contract was up at the 2 year contract price. Never had an issue and the CS reps were more than willing to do it because 'they can.'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Granted not EVERYONE has terrible customer service with AT&T but it is well documented that they will not bend over backwards for you.

I think that is the main point here. Just because some people have good coverage/service with AT&T it does not mean everyone does. And there is no need to go all "Cause I have no issues with AT&T that means it is great". No it just means it's good for you (you being a person in gereral here). Others might have bad service or coverage in their area.

So to the original poster, maybe you should write a formal letter of complaint to AT&T and see what happens. And if nothing happens take it further. It's your right as a customer.

And to everyone else if you get good service/coverage from AT&T whoppie for you. That's good. Just remember not everyone does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.