Regarding: Aperture Library.aplibrary

Reaction score
Firstly this is just one of those I'm pretty sure I'm right but wanted a couple other opinions sort of questions.

Synopsis:
I've recently upgraded by adding one of the 27" LED iMacs to my motley collection of systems. Love it by the way, for things that need to chug along in batch processing or scanning I might put that on an older tower but this is a great primary Photoshop machine at least for me and I have not yet upgraded the RAM even! I will of course but I that's another tangent.

In the course of configuring this system I have noted I now have a file named "Aperture Library.aplibrary" which is not unusual in and of itself but it's file size is. It's 300GB leading me to think I mistakenly set it to import as opposed to say create thumbnails while leaving the originals in place.

I store several terrabytes on various media so needless to say this must be corrected on the single terabyte drive on this machine.

My double check question is this:
Aperture uses non-destructive methodology meaning all the image content in this massive file are definitely copies and not originals correct? I just wanted to be absolutely sure before removing this huge huge file and redoing it in a lite version if you know what I mean. There's literally tens of thousands of original photos from my life's work involved and I want to make double sure I don't accidentally delete something and miss it down the road when it's too late to retrieve it possibly if you get my drift.

I'm like pretty darn sure it's safe and basically this file has to go and be redone with the right settings where the files stay in their original directories and you add each one as a project as you go.

I'm just double checking if any knowledgeable person can think of anything I might have forgotten or overlooked in my advancing age and forgetfulness lol.

I create multiple backups anyways so the files will exist somewhere but I probably don't have to tell you what a problem it can be if you aren't sure or err on the side of the conservative wind up with duplicates instead of over writing and such. Basically I'd like to avoid restoring the central backup at all costs because of the work load that can ensue. Just restoring a single volume takes 2 days and I have more than one.

Frankly I'm really glad I caught it before the entire hard drive was swamped but it was like overnight it went from nearly empty to almost 900 GB of space used on the volume! It was supposed to be 500GB for my active files but I was like what the heck!

So Aperture Library.aplibrary does just import copies and not the actual files and I'm not overlooking anything that could result in data loss please reassure me and hold my hand lol.

Conclusion:

It's been awhile since I had to move stuff around in such quantity but it's worth the trouble. I mean heck the big displays like this iMac comes with have always been right around what the whole computer costs! Just have to figure out how to hook up my other two monitors if possible after this. One is a no brainer but I never have tried two on one of these. I'm guessing a USB adaptor might do that.

Why so much screen space? Well the short answer is the other two can swing from landscape to portrait and I probably don't have to tell you how usefull that might prove with one on either side of the 27" screen. Two 24" and one 27", geez back in the 90s we thought big old tubes were something you know?

Sorry for the rambling nature of this I get that way when I'm in a bit of a tizzy over something related to my archive.:Oops:

Regards
Curt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.