PDA

View Full Version : Decision re Macbook running VM Fusion

sograteful
12-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi there Mac gurus!

I am about to take the plunge and purchase a Mac for the first time. My PC just died. I am a business user disgusted with Windows. The only thing I will use it for is word processing, billing clients and web browsing. Neither my printer nor any of my software is compatible with MAC so I would be spending a fortune to replace printer, Microsoft Office, Timeslips legal billing, scanning program if I ditched them. Instead, I plan to to install Vm Fusion and Windows XP and at least at first be running almost all Windows programs. I have heard that the VM Fusion rcauses Windows programs to run fairly slow. I am looking at the Macbook or Macbook Pro. Do they have enough juice to run these progarms without being frustratingly slow? Thans a bunch!

m_ove
12-16-2009, 10:16 PM
If you are going to be running these programs through VM Fusion then I would get a macbook pro. But might I also suggest that you perhaps install windows through bootcamp if you are worried about speed.

vansmith
12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Neither my printer nor any of my software is compatible with MAC so I would be spending a fortune to replace printer, Microsoft Office, Timeslips legal billing, scanning program if I ditched them. Instead, I plan to to install Vm Fusion and Windows XP and at least at first be running almost all Windows programs.Honestly, if you're going to be using it as a Windows machine most of the time, buy a Windows machine. There is no need to buy a Mac if you never intend to use it as a Mac. Don't spend more money than you need to just to have to find workarounds to use what you need to use.

sputacus
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
sograteful,

I'm getting great performance running Windows 7 on Fusion 3.0.1. Unless you need to run graphics-intensive applications, you should should be fine with the performance you get from a Windows virtual machine on a Mac.

Having said that, it still Windows. I say that because you said that you are fed up with Windows. I was fed up with Windows too - that is why I bought a Mac. I only run Windows when I have to - most of my applications are installed on OSX. As a result, I'm having less issues with Windows than I did on a PC because I have less installed on Windows now. In fact, I'm enjoying Windows 7 on my Mac!!! Because it's Windows, you will still have all the issues (virus threats, etc's) that come with it.

SammySlim
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I agree with the above posters, including the suggestion to stay with Windows if that's what you are going to use. Having said that, I think Windows 7 is MUCH better than previous versions and you may find that upgrading to it suffices for you. That would be cheapest.

If you get a Mac (and believe me, I own a bunch and love them!), either the macbook or any of the macbook pros will run virtual machines just fine. For example, I run Windows (2 flavors) and Ubuntu linux on an older "blackbook" macbook with just 2 GB of RAM, for Office, surfing and productivity applications (no gaming, video editing or stuff like that) - and it runs at what appears to be normal speed to me.

So, get what you like but I would suggest you get a bit more RAM, perhaps 4 GB, so that you can allocate a fair amount to your virtual machine while still allocating enough back to the Mac side.

Good luck. You may well find that a full switchover is less expensive than you think as you get familiar.

Also, you should read the "switcher's guide" sticky on this thread for more info.

cheers

sograteful
12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks for all your input! I ended ordering a Macbook. I could not justify the major price difference between that and the Macbook Pro 13: I got the MACbook online for an unbelievable price-after rebates it was $869 total (no extra for taxes or shipping. )In addition they threw in the following for free: VMFusion version 3.0 value $69, a HP all in one color printer value $69, and a free TARGUS carrying case value $50. Thus the computer itself cost only $679! ;D

At this price I did not think I was overpaying for a MAC over a new PC. Also, I tried a new PC Windows 7 last week and hated it. I can t wait to start using my MAC. I will purchase 2GB Ram to up the power a bit. Thanks again!