How to file share remotely?

P

pharme

Greetings to all,

As I will be leaving home for quite a period (without my G4 Powerbook 10.3.8), I would like to be able to connect so as to 'peep' and share files with my powerbook remotely when I am away.

To my understanding, I would need to enable 'Personal File Sharing' in the Services tab located in System Preference. And to connect remotely I need to type in the ip address stated after "Other Macintosh users can access your computer at ..." But since I am using Airport Extreme on a local network, it didn't say much except 'afp://localhost/'.

I reckoned i am connected via a router. Also from some readings, they say I have to set the router to send incoming connections specifically to my computer.

An immediate question, is my Apple Extreme base station also acting as a router or is my Alcatel SpeedTouch Home a router. If it's the former then configuring it would be possible in Airport Admin Utility as I find no documentation on configuring the latter ie. port forwarding.

Is port mapping in Airport Admin Utility an equivalent to port forwarding?

Now that (if) I am behind a router, under DHCP i will have a dynamic IP address. Will getting a dynamic domain name help (www.dyndns.org) help in anyway?

Is SSH a solution?

Thank you for any information rendered

pharme

SPEcs:
Powerbook G4 400 (10.3.8)
Powerbook G3 400 (10.3.8)
Airport Extreme Base station
Alcatel Speed Touch Home (modem)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.