• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Favorite ethnic foods

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello all! I'm interested to hear what your favorite foods from around the world are. I have two personal favorites: Indian food (particularly Tikka Masala) and Thai food (Panang Curry, Pad Thai)

My wife and I made homemade Tikka Masala the other night. Here are the delicious results in facebook album form:

Trent J Sartain's Photos - Tikka Masala Shoot | Facebook

So what do you guys like to eat?
Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
My dawg!!! Me too!!
Anything extremely spicy for me... Indian (Chicken Vindaloo, Chicken Phal) and anything Thai with lots of chili's and Korean spicy chicken Bulgogee with kimchee!!! Yummmmmm!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thai is probably my preferred choice..especially the spicy stuff..being Indian, I get to eat that all the time..:)

Regards

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
My dawg!!! Me too!!
Anything extremely spicy for me... Indian (Chicken Vindaloo, Chicken Phal) and anything Thai with lots of chili's and Korean spicy chicken Bulgogee with kimchee!!! Yummmmmm!

Kimchee (I've seen it spelled Kimchi as well) is amazing! It's an acquired taste by far, but it's really great if you can get past the first bite. Also, the Thai restaurant I used to eat at had a spiciness level you could choose when ordering your food. I could handle 9, but 10 (the highest) was just too much. I'd go home sweating.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Asian.

I like Sushi, Udon, Pho, Thai curries, and all that stuff.

Started making hot sauce for a local taco shop. I like anything spicy really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
Curry is fantastic. I also really like the sushi rolls and sashimi.

With a beer too. Does Guinness count as an ethnic food? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I really like Japanese food a lot. Sushi, miso, udon etc. I can't say I like Chinese, Indian or other asian foods too much at all. Not a fan. Also I like British and German foods too.

Reaction score
I've really gotten into Indian food the last few years. My favorites are Keema Mutter & Gosht Korma. :p

Ginny

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
LOL, not quite sure if it's ethnic enough but I love Chipotle Mexican Grill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
Wow. There's no way I can choose. I like everything ethnic with the possible exception of Greek, and the reason may be that our Greek restaurants here don't have real Greek chefs.

I guess the very best ethnic meal I ever had was in Chinatown in Montreal. We were staying in an adjacent hotel, decided to take a walk around the area, went past a restaurant with a lot of local Chinese eating, went in, were handed menus in Chinese, no one spoke English, we pointed at something on the menu, were brought the most delicicious meal I've ever had, and I have no idea what it was we ate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
LOL, not quite sure if it's ethnic enough but I love Chipotle Mexican Grill.
Why not? If you're not in the country the food comes from, chances are it's not authentic. Recipes get adjusted for local tastes. Now, if your Grandmother is from the old country, any you're at her house, that's authentic!

Wow. There's no way I can choose.
I'd have to say the same. I have a devil of a time picking an entree from a menu. Too many things appeal to my taste. This question is like having 12 different menus to choose from! I always tell my wife that my favorite meal is a good old fashioned Hamburger. That's just because we don't eat them often enough to suit me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hard to pick a favorite when there are so many delicious options available. Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek, Mexican, Peruvian, I love it all. Only area where I haven't had much exposure to is local European cuisine, though I'm not sure if I'll enjoy them as much as the ones mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Being a trencherman true, I'm like Kash - so many choices. Because I cook for myself, I get to choose what I like. Narrowing things down to my favourite three:
1. Traditional roast - lamb, potatoes, peas, silver beet, mint sauce, gravy.
2. Curry - the hotter the better, so Madras.
3. Asian - either Thai or Chinese, plenty of chilli.

Adding to what toMACsh mentions, my regular Fri night fare is home-built hamburger with beer batter fries.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Why not? If you're not in the country the food comes from, chances are it's not authentic. Recipes get adjusted for local tastes. Now, if your Grandmother is from the old country, any you're at her house, that's authentic!

I'd have to say the same. I have a devil of a time picking an entree from a menu. Too many things appeal to my taste. This question is like having 12 different menus to choose from! I always tell my wife that my favorite meal is a good old fashioned Hamburger. That's just because we don't eat them often enough to suit me.
I'm pretty certain the local mexican food is 'authentic' ;)

I can't consider it 'ethnic' here though, it's pretty much mainstream. Hard to choose, there's so much good food around the world, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, German, English, Greek, etc, etc, etc...

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to mention one of my favorites! When I was on a mission trip in Mexico, some local villagers brought us "Pomegranate stew". It tastes and looks exactly like you would think a sweet and spicy stew would. It was a hot day, but the soup was strangely refreshing. Good stuff. I'm not sure if it was a local delicacy or what though. I haven't seen it or found a similar recipe since. It was in the middle of the Yucatan (Xocempich).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Thai food is hands down the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Being a redneck from Nebraska , my choice of ethnic food would have to be "redneck" you know.... A 1lb ribeye with a baked potato and a sixpack of budweiser ! Man I love this country !

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Self harvested moose steak with vegetables and mashed potatoes. YUM!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.