Access Point steals IP Address

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm using a Belkin wireless access point with my cable modem. I have two computers. My provider, resp. my scheme allows me to draw to ip adresses, hence two computers. But my wireless access point seems to be taking away one ip adress (according to my provider, who i phoned. I tried using a Hub between my modem and the wireless access but it didn't work.
Is there any way to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
You need a router to prevent this from happening. The router will use a public address and dish out private addresses to your client.

Another option is set your AP to a static address and then plug it into the cable modem. That way it won't steal an IP address and leave you the 1 public address for your device.

Reaction score
I would think you could just turn off obtaining an IP address in your WAP settings, I don't see why a wireless access point would need an IP address except for setup purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
yogi said:
how can i set my ap to a static address?

Read the directions? Most AP's I've seen you can't turn off retreiving an IP address. You can make it static.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.