need new camera

Reaction score
i want a camera thats slim, high quality pics, can capture video, and is in with $100-200 could spend a little extra too help plzz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
It's out of your price range, but if you can muster up the money you should check out the Panasonic TZ5. I've got the version a step above it, but good things have been said about the TZ5 too. It's a compact camera, and also a super zoom. Takes good video like you want. You might be able to get one around the $250 range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Can't really give you a good answer as to what you should get right now, but I CAN tell you what NOT to get. I'm a Nikon DSLR shooter, so you'd think I'd be biased right ?

Nikon P&S cameras STINK ON ICE ! Just avoid them. Canon is the king of sub $400 P&S's. Probably the King of P&S's in general. I'd love to get an S90, personally speaking, but it's about $400. It does RAW and takes really good quality photos up to ISO 1600. Lots of cool features on it aside from that.

For the same price I'd also really consider the Panasonic Lumix LX3.

For $150 ($50 instant savings at B&H) I'd go for a Canon SD1200 IS:canon powershot sd1200 is

Preview: http://syndicate.sellpoint.net/cano...non+powershot+sd1200+is&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display
i know the LX3 previously mentioned is a bit out of your pricerange but i've had mine a year & love it ;) so if you wanted to stretch the budget for something special?....
the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 also mentioned earlier is a great all round camera for casual use & should be available cheaply due to newer models already released ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
As said before, the Panasonic TZ series are wonderful as I've had many great experiences with them myself. They are cheap and take great quality pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i work at best buy camera department. i think Sony make a great point and shoot camera. they have one that is a W290 it shoot 12MP full 1080p shots and records in HD as well and uses the Carl Zeiss lens which in my opinion is the best lens on a point and shoot. this camera also has a bunch of features. Canon's are nice as well but i like the screens on the Sony's much my vivid lcd where you can view if your image is satisfactory or if you need to take another shot 3" on the W290. btw this camera cost 199 it is on sale right now for one more day. Sunday the new ad will come out.

just in case you are wondering i bought a Sony camera for point and shoot myself for my g/f they are great. I have a Canon D-SLR though.

Reaction score
Canon SD780 IS

I'll throw another contender into the ring - the Canon SD780 IS. It's about the smallest/thinnest point-and-shoot Canon has made, has a really nice sleek aluminum body, and shoots 720p video.

The sensor is small, so low-light images are a bit noisy, but for its size it's really quite good. Typical Canon color saturation, for better or worse (preference). The 720p video is really great, and amazingly for its size it has an HDMI out.

You can get it for under $200 now.

Also, if you want to step up to a much higher quality image, bigger sensor, and some real manual controls, the Canon S90 is amazing. But it's a bit more at around $400. It is about the smallest camera on the market for it's class, it's almost at the level of the G11, but just on the large end of the compact point-and-shoots.

I also just noticed Doug b posted above the Panasonic Lumix LX3. The S90 is a direct competitor of that camera. The S90 is a bit cheaper, easier to find, and definitely smaller and more compact. However it does not shoot 720p video like the LX3 does, and some say the LX3 has slightly better IQ. Also it's preference about the controls layout. They both shoot RAW. And I think both are pretty darn awesome.

But if you want really small and cheap, the SD780 would be better of my two picks. There's a lot of good quality compact point-and-shoots out there for cheap now though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
My DSLR is a Canon Rebel XSi, but for point and shoot I will use nothing but FujiFilm. They are straight-forward, great quality, intuitive to your needs and wants and most of them even come with a card-reader! A few cameras I would suggest are:

Z33WP is about $200 (WP stands for Waterproof! How awesome is that? And it's definitely the cheapest and smallest camera of it's kind on the market)

A230 will put you out about $100 and comes in fun colours

J20 and J30 are in the $150 range

Keep in mind that, as with most things, you pay for what you get, so if you are willing to put out a bit more for a camera, I would go for a FinePix f-series. I have an F-10 that is about 5 years old, and apart from the fact that it's only 6 mega pixels, not many cameras on the market today in the same price range can even hold a candle to it as far as the specs go.

Hope this helps, let us know what you chose!
-Stefani

Reaction score
I would say Canon SD1200 would be a good choice. It has good video features, great picture quality and the battery life is excellent. The camera has an expensive feel due to aluminum body, smooth operation, clean styling and a high quality snapshooter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Another Lumix supporter here had the FZ20, TZ7, TZ5 and the FT1 (TS1 in US i think) all superb.

Would hesitate to recommend any of the Lumix series.

I've always found Steve's Digicams to be a good review source

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.