PDA

View Full Version : To WiFi or not to WiFi

schweb
05-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Do you use WiFi?

PowerBookG4
05-04-2005, 08:27 PM
everybody must wifi, some people say its not safe, but if your computer is protected well, i don't see a problem with it.

iWhat
05-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Wifi in the morning, wifi in the evening, wifi at dinner time!

sonofapplepm
05-04-2005, 09:41 PM
WiFi forever!

fearlessfreap24
05-05-2005, 09:02 AM
i love wifi!!!!!!!!!!

rman
05-05-2005, 10:10 AM
I do both. Since my job, wouldn't let me run wireless.

mraya
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
My WiFi network is safe. No neighboors live within range.

Josh_MacMan
05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I-Fi, U-Fi, we all WiFi!

rs2sensen
05-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Interesting, I've noticed that most of the people who have replied on this thread have either iBooks or Powerbooks, which are all commonly used with Wifi (the newer models have it as a standard feature). And I would bet that with the increasing availablity of DSL and other High Speed internet services, as well as that many High Speed Internet companies are offering free wireless routers, it makes sense that more people are getting Wifi home networks than ever before. Also, many users of this message board could be considered "Power Users" who are much more likely to use modern technologies such as Wifi.

iWhat
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Also, many users of this message board could be considered "Power Users" who are much more likely to use modern technologies such as Wifi.

I so agree with you about that. I barely know anybody, who is a power user compared to people like me or members in this board. Sometimes, I just assume or take for granted that people have the same technology as I do or the know-how. Example: Me: Oh, just download the 100MB upgrade from their website. Them: I have dial-up. Me: Oh!?

:spook:

rs2sensen
05-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I remember a few years back when I became a serious computer user and upgraded to DSL from dialup. Back then I would pick and choose the updates, mostly just doing the security ones, as it would take me a day to download them. Now, I just click them all and look at them later. Last night I downloaded about 3 GB worth of trial software, that would have never happened in my old dialup days...

rs2sensen
05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Yay! I'm no long on a distinguished road, I'll be famous soon enough! Thanks!

Benjamindaines
05-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I have my own WIFI at home and the starbucks i go to is in the mall connected to a bose store and right next to an apple store so i get apple's WIFI and i get to watch the huge tv in bose. :)

rs2sensen
05-05-2005, 07:33 PM
I have my own WIFI at home and the starbucks i go to is in the mall connected to a bose store and right next to an apple store so i get apple's WIFI and i get to watch the huge tv in bose. :)

Wow, I would kill for a place to go to like that. I'd be sipping a Venti sized Frappacino, watching that TV every day!

Hey, I've never had my PB with me when I go to Starbucks. For their Wifi, does it cost anything, or is it free?

Benjamindaines
05-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey, I've never had my PB with me when I go to Starbucks. For their Wifi, does it cost anything, or is it free?

I don't know cuz its the internet coming from the apple store. so you can also freak people out using the computers with the Bonjur messaging

rs2sensen
05-05-2005, 08:07 PM
lol. I know many starbucks have wifi too though, I know the one in my local Barnes and Noble does, I've just never used it.

Benjamindaines
05-05-2005, 08:10 PM
lol. I know many starbucks have wifi too though, I know the one in my local Barnes and Noble does, I've just never used it.

It depends if they have their own ruter then its probably free, but if its by some outside company like Tmobile its guna cost you some.

PowerBookG4
05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
well at my starbucks it is not free, it is t-mobile its either monthly or like 6.00$ for like an hour or so... I never go to starbucks with my computer normally go with friends. But it is the same price as the t-mobile in the airport

coach_z
05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
i used to go to starbucks every so often with the lappy....nice to sit down, have a drink, surf the web at speeds over dial up, and download stuff while im there :) ...although last time they seemed to have banned downloading through acquisition, oh well

im buying my parents (or at least partially) some type of fast internet connection when i get home for the summer because i am not going to be able to live without it

-chris

rs2sensen
05-05-2005, 11:04 PM
yup, once you get high speed internet, you never go back.

I just saw this: "Location: RI for school/ NJ for home life / wished i lived in Berkeley, CA"

Yeah, I'm looking at Berkeley for college right now. I'm debating between it and Stanford, both nice places. I love Rhode Island too though, a great place to visit.

sarahsboy18
05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
I live on WiFi... Seems like you can hop on free Wi-Fi almost ANYWHERE now. Even most the Truck Stops here in Texas now have free Wi-Fi. Which I think is kinda funny.

Actually there is a new free widget for Dashboard called JiWire Wi-Fi Spot Finder. Just put in your zip and find free/paid Wi-Fi anywhere. It's pretty cool and seems to be a pretty comprehensive DB of Wi-Fi spots.

rs2sensen
05-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, once I get Tiger I'll have to take a look at that widget. btw, is that widget only for the United States, or does it have European locations too?

Smilemon
05-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I have a neat program for my mac. It is called mac stumbler. It tells how many wifi bases are around and if they are encrypted or not. Ive found some cool Connections around.

EvoMac
05-08-2005, 12:40 AM
WiFi is great and for the most part quite secure (if done correctly). I work for a major pharmaceutical company and we have WiFi via EAP-Fast authentication, which pulls directly from Active Directory to even establish a connection. On the home WiFi path... here are a couple things to stick to:
1) @ home WEP / other encryption is your friend. If you don't encrypt your network anyone can easily just double click on your network and connect, having direct access to any folders that you might share in your household that are not password protected.
2) @public hotspots you will most likely just be doing light browsing / tasks and their is a firewall in place for protection. Would I check my bank statement on public WiFi, no, but not because of wireless... I don't want the nosey person next to me looking at my screen

sarahsboy18
05-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah, once I get Tiger I'll have to take a look at that widget. btw, is that widget only for the United States, or does it have European locations too?

It has a country selector... so I would assume it is international. I don't know how accurate it is outside the US.

jsb515
05-10-2005, 01:33 PM
I will WiFi once I get a airport card :/

yorg30
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Does any body knows if a usb Wifi can work for an iMac G3 original version of 1998, bondi Blue? I had update my iMac to Panther OS X, but seems that my computer is not compatible to use an airport card with adapter.
Any suggestions?

yorg30

rman
05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
You should be able to use the Dlink's DWL-122. I don't know about the Dlink DWL-G122.

badmojo
05-12-2005, 10:56 AM
WiFi with 128 bit encryption (WPA) and a firewall. I never walk out of my house undressed (but I'm sure some forum-goers in here do, literally)

yorg30
05-12-2005, 01:00 PM
:mac: Thanks Rman, I will try with the usb DWL-122.