Salvaging a HD from a dead computer

Reaction score
So my ancient eMac that my sister has been using for forever recently died and obviously isn't worth the money to fix at this point. I wonder though if it would be possible to salvage the hard drive? It has pictures and music and stuff she's still interested in and it'd be awesome if i could get them off of it for her.

How would I go about doing this? Someone I talked to suggested I pick up something like Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC. Would something like that work?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ideally that device would be perfect for what you are going to do. I had an earlier version of this device and it worked well. I can't say the same for the current version (though the problem might be operator error on my part).

Another option would be to get an external drive enclosure, put the hard drive in there and connect the enclosure to your Mac. Something like the Syba Enclosure Kit FireWire + USB2 for 3.5"... (SY-U2F-5BK) at OWC might do the trick.

Ask around though before purchasing you might find something cheaper. I am pretty sure though that whatever you use will have to support an IDE drive connections.

Reaction score
Weibe Tech has a similar device, too, that you may want to check in to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It kinda depends on what part of the eMac died, doesn't it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.