(iPhoto) Photo Collection Renovation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Summer 2009, 13")
I realize this issue has been touched on before, but don't worry, I'm not asking about the issue, I just would like to know opinions to verify I am being productive with this project.

Until September, I have been a Windows user, until I saw the light at the end of the tunnel that was the Mac Lifestyle. I have ~6,500 photos in my collection, transferred from my Windows Laptop. Needless to say, the photos I've imported since getting my Mac are perfectly organized, but the ones before that, especially earlier than 2008 are a mess.

My family and I used multiple photo organizing software (for PC) over the years and there seems to be a lot of clutter going on. (i.e. duplicated, smaller versions, etc.) I'm trying to convert my older photos to the new system of organizing, and yes, this is quite an undertaking.

I don't want to have duplicates (originals) of all 6,500 photos from editing and organizing, so I'm going to follow the advice posted by someone that I saw on this forum.

I've moved all of my 200 events into 15 events by year (1994-2009). I have been editing/fixing/deleting photos year by year. I then export the entire year's event into an outside-of-iPhoto folder and then deleting the event from iPhoto. I plan to re-import after I'm done so that all of the photos in my library are exactly what I want and none of the mess.

I know this may seem kind of boring/pointless info, but I just wanted to put my plan out there and make sure there wasn't some completely simple solution that I overlooked? Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Disclaimer: I feel like this will be brought up, so I should say that I do realize multiple editing/saving/exporting/importing of JPEGs does slightly diminish the quality, but these are all just family/friends/vacation photos that I don't plan to do any more with than prints of 4"x6"s so that's not much of an issue. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Summer 2009, 13")
Also, if anyone would like to share stories of their similar projects/reorganizations, that would also be helpful and inspiring!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.