Boot Camp Assistant - i want to partition my hard disk to instal windows 7

Q8i

Reaction score
hi all ...
i want to partition my hard **** to instal windows 7 ...
bootcampassistant.jpg

plz help ... i neet too use windows 7 now ..
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your problem is that you do not have enough contiguous space on your hard drive for the BC assistant to create the Windows partition. The best way and least expensive to resolve this is to:

Make a backup of your entire hard drive to an external hard drive using Time Machine. Then boot your machine from your install DVD and use Disk Utility to erase and format the drive. (make sure you format it as HFS extended journaled) Then reinstall OS X. During the reinstall of OS X you will be asked if you have a backup. Use your Time Machine backup and restore OS X and all your data.

Once that's completed, you can run the BC assistant again and create the partition for Windows 7. BTW, your hard drive is rather smallish. Windows 7 needs a lot of space especially if you intend to install any games or other applications. And if you intend to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7, that will require even more space.

You might consider getting a larger hard drive for your machine before installing Windows 7.

Regards.

Reaction score
You could also try to defragment your hard drive using iDefrag or a similar program, but I agree with chscag, your disk is a bit small and you will soon be pretty cramped.

good luck!

Reaction score
I have the same issue... with the exact same error message... here's a pickle... i don't have an external to pair with time machine... I got iDefrag from a friend... any thoughts? I'm not exactly computer savvy... but it's frustrating to not be able to partition my disk...

T

todd51

You could also try reducing the file size from 20GB to maybe like 15GB and see if it will partition it. I'm not sure how much space you need for Win7 but sounds like you need it pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's a pretty small hard drive, which means files are scattered all over the place, hence why you're having trouble partitioning. What you need to do is run all the maintenance routines in a program called Onyx, then defrag the hard drive and then it should work since the OS X side is all tidied up and not spread out everywhere.

Reaction score
You need iDefrag in addition. I have run Onyx, and it has a few extra things over Disk Utility (but you don't need to do both - Onyx includes verify/repair permissions and disks). Caution that the defrag process takes a long time, much longer than Onyx/Disk Utility, but it should help a lot.

Cheers

Reaction score
Testing it out now!

Hi, I have been looking for a fix to this issue for days now, and I think that this way will work. I am currently backing up all my data onto my external hard drive.
Thanks, and I hope it works :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.