Recommended BT Wireless Router For Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently brought a BT 2110 router but my MacBook was unable to connect dispite having full signal etc. After much troubleshooting i'm returning the router.

Now, can anybody recommend a BT wireless router which is proven to work well with Macs?

Thanks

Simon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I highly recommend this model:

D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router

It's a little pricey, but well worth it. Excellent signal strength, good security options and easy to setup.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but i'd prefer somthing a little more affordable for now.

Also, is it possible to use a neatgear router, or any other brand of router, with a BT internet subscription? As you may have noticed i'm no expert on wireless.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion, but i'd prefer somthing a little more affordable for now.

Also, is it possible to use a neatgear router, or any other brand of router, with a BT internet subscription? As you may have noticed i'm no expert on wireless.

I assume BT stands for British Telecom? If so, did they supply you with a modem, or was their router a combination modem and router?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, it is British Telecom. They supplied me with a standard modem which provides a wired connection only. It was the newer model I brought which was ment to replace it, but as my MacBook would not connect properly, I am again looking for a new router.

My second post was just to see whether a router made by a seperate company would be compatible with my existing internet connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, any router should work with it - you'll just connect it to your modem.

I would steer clear of Netgear, however. Linksys and D-Link are the two brands I recommend.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I was just using Netgear as an example though.

At the moment I'm just worried that the same thing will happen and i'll buy a router and it won't connect to my Mac properly.

Can anyone recommend an affordable router that is tried and tested to work with Macs?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help with this, it is much appreciated. I'll probaly order one once I sort out returning the BT router.

Thanks again :)

Reaction score
you could buy a used "last generation" Apple Airport Exteme Base Station (the dome-shaped one). Connects to the modem and provides 802.11g wireless and a USB printer port (along with 1 spare ethernet port). On eBay you can get one for USD$30-$50, and the Mac's Airport Utility will see it and make set up and management very easy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I second the Linksys WRT54GL. Like CWA said, be sure it's the GL version and not the plain WRT54 or WRT54S. Just a note, the Linksys is Wireless G. That will be fine for any Internet usage. A reliable N router costs more like the Dlink that CWA suggested. Great router but more expensive.

Also with the router you are returning, did you try hooking up to it with a Cat-5 cable? Did that work or no internet like with WiFi? Also did you use encryption like WEP, WPA, WPA2?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.