iphone says "No Service"

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased an unlocked 1st gen iphone from ebay. It worked perfectly for about a month, but then it gradually lost service until finally it would say nothing but "No Service" in the upper left corner of the screen. I've tried everything to fix it from restoring it to updating the firmware, but nothing has worked. What I was wondering was how much would it cost to get it repaired or replaced if I was to go to the Apple store or is there any chance of them replacing it no charge (I'm might be dreaming here)? The phone is in good condition with exception of the no service. I have an At&t account, but iphone is not activated under it. I would activate it if it would help my chances of getting it replaced. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hello, I recently purchased an unlocked 1st gen iphone from ebay. It worked perfectly for about a month, but then it gradually lost service until finally it would say nothing but "No Service" in the upper left corner of the screen. I've tried everything to fix it from restoring it to updating the firmware, but nothing has worked. What I was wondering was how much would it cost to get it repaired or replaced if I was to go to the Apple store or is there any chance of them replacing it no charge (I'm might be dreaming here)?
Yes, you're dreaming on that one.
The phone is in good condition with exception of the no service. I have an At&t account, but iphone is not activated under it. I would activate it if it would help my chances of getting it replaced. Thanks
Activation with AT&T won't help you get it replaced, plus attempting to do so would be committing fraud... seeing that you didn't purchase the phone from them or Apple in the first place.

Your best be would be to either try to contact the seller.
Barring that, see if you can take it to an Apple Store and have it repaired there, but be prepared to pay for the repair bill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
If you have at&t, thats your problem. :Oops: haha, I never have that anymore with Verizon. haha, no seriously, you might be able to get an out of warranty replacement for 199. I wouldn't say that is fraud because at some point it was purchased from apple, although that is kinda high for a first gen iPhone. But it's prolly the best they are going to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.