Vmware gone after time machine reinstall

Reaction score
so, my mac crashed. HD dead. I use time machine backup every hour. I install my old computer on the new one. i still have my vmware and have my shared folders that were on my desktop.

my virtual machine (windows xp pro) is totally gone. all the apple techs said it would be there, but its not. its as though it never existed. is the a folder or directory i am missing?

ANY help would be wonderful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
The default folder it saves virtualization files is under the "Documents" folder of the user folder. So if you have a new account probably under the old account's user folder. That's the only thing I can think of...

OP
S
Reaction score
The default folder it saves virtualization files is under the "Documents" folder of the user folder. So if you have a new account probably under the old account's user folder. That's the only thing I can think of...
yup. thats where where i looked as well. it says the folder has not been modified for over a year. i do backups every hour. all my shared folders and everything else seem fine.

i am very confused.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you maybe exclude the VM file from Time Machine backups when you setup Time Machine? Many people do because each time the slightest modification is made to that file TM backs up the entire file taking up lots of time (and space)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Did you maybe exclude the VM file from Time Machine backups when you setup Time Machine? Many people do because each time the slightest modification is made to that file TM backs up the entire file taking up lots of time (and space)?

i dont think so. i have some files from there. in fact, just tried to install windows xp again on my new machine and it wont all me to do it.... something is wrong. its like the backup (new machine) knows its got windows on it, but does not know where to look.

i am 90% its user error, but i am just trying to figure out how and why it happened. or if its part of the 10% feeling i have. it make no sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.