Safari or Mozilla versus Internet Explorer

J

j-worker

How many Mac users out there prefer to surf the net with the Internet Explorer? Is there anyone out there that can say the IE is the better browser on a Mac? I certainly can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Fire fox all the way here ... except it just crashed :eek: and i lost this huge article i was writing on a forum , but i think it's because of a problem with a plug in i have and not the browser it's self , because i have the same plug in on my windozer machine and it crashed periodicly , so i should remove it , but any ways i love fire fox it rocks .

Reaction score
I use safari because it is more intergrated and is secure. Firefox has become a status thing, people use it to be different not for any practical purpose. On macs anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
I have a few on my Mac but I most definitely prefer Safari. I really have to think hard as to WHY I actually prefer it, but the fact is... it looks tidier than IE, to me anyway. I like the toolbars and everything about it. The day I first turned my Mac on and saw this thing instead of IE I was hooked. Also, I never had issues with it. Sometimes I hear people saying that it is slow and/or crashes frequently, but this does not apply to me.

OP
J

j-worker

Mr Sprout said:
Firefox has become a status thing, people use it to be different not for any practical purpose. On macs anyway!

I can't agree with you there. People use Firefox because it's the better browser. I mean, what's the big deal saying "I use Firefox because I want to be in"?

As a webdesigner I have all three browsers installed, and if you test as intensively with these browsers as webdesigners must, you'll quickly see that Firefox is the better browser, with Safari coming in a very close second, and IE trailing far behind. IE can't even position the radio buttons on a simple layout like www.google.de properly!

I personally can't imagine why Mac users would want to soil their machines with Microsoft products, but the fact is that some do.

Wierd!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Firefox has become a status thing, people use it to be different not for any practical purpose. On macs anyway!
yeah id have to dissagree also , it's true that allot of people feel they need to get on the fire fox bandwagon so there "cool" , but that dosent apply to me ive been using fire fox sense day 1 , actually when it was firebird , and mozilla before firebird , so it's just personal preference for me ..

im also with J-worker on the web thing , i design websites as well , and i have to have a few different browsers , our forum looks wierd under safari for some reason ... but it was built with firefox and some what ie in mind .. but yeah i still prefer firefox .

I personally can't imagine why Mac users would want to soil their machines with Microsoft products, but the fact is that some do
me either but , it's a windows world and some people insist on coding thier websites to only IE ... so your stuck with those limitations some times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Safari is the best its faster then Camino.

OP
Z

zap2

i sat firefox,safari,camino,IE,But the new safari in tiger could be better ill have tp play with it more. Tiger great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I use firefox for the exact same reasons as stated above.. not the "in" statements, but the web development statements. Firefox does everything, even takes out the trash on trash day :) It has plugins for everything you would need. Safari.. really doesnt do anything at all, except browse, but it does that very very well. I need more from my web browser than that though. I have the web developer plugin that does anything a person would ever need with web development, except write the code itself! Plus I have the tab browser extension installed which does everything a person would ever want to do with tabs, multiple undo's, tab groups, save tab sessions, close all tabs, reload all tabs, duplicate tabs, auto reload.. etc etc.. too many things to go over here. The foxytunes extension to control iTunes, targetalert so that you know what type of result you'll get when you click on a link, link toolbar to allow you to surf forums much easier, SEOpen for search engine optimization, MeasureIt to allow you to measure anything you want in firefox. Bandwidth tester, Autofill so that you can use multiple profiles when filling out forms.. Those are just the ones that I use.. there is way more out there. Safari can't even touch that stuff.. and if you don't need that stuff.. then by all means, definitely use Safari! Otherwise Safari just has no functionality comparitively.

Reaction score
Fire Fox is the best because it is fast and reliable, i dont think that it has ever crashed on me, and if you like certian things that other browsers offer such as mouse gesturs that oprah offers you can just DL the extendion from the mozilla site. and it has loads more of plugins and extensions and skins that any other browser that i have ever scene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Have several but still stick to Safari.
FireFox is nowhere near as good as Safari on Tiger.
Forget IE, it's dead but no one has bothered to tell it yet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
torchy said:
Have several but still stick to Safari.
FireFox is nowhere near as good as Safari on Tiger.
Forget IE, it's dead but no one has bothered to tell it yet. :)

::thinking to self:: hmm why is it still coming with macs ::end thought back to sleep::

OP
M

meltbanana314

benjamindaines said:
::thinking to self:: hmm why is it still coming with macs ::end thought back to sleep::

It doesn't.

Internet Explorer stopped shipping with Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
meltbanana314 said:
It doesn't.

Internet Explorer stopped shipping with Tiger.

Your right i just noiticed that awsome one more step to being microsoft free if only apple would make a microsoft compatable office suite.

OP
M

meltbanana314

benjamindaines said:
Your right i just noiticed that awsome one more step to being microsoft free if only apple would make a microsoft compatable office suite.

That's what iWork is supposed to be. It'll be great when they get an Excel clone working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
meltbanana314 said:
That's what iWork is supposed to be. It'll be great when they get an Excel clone working.

yup :) i havent installed the trial yet but does it work with .doc and .ppt files?

OP
M

meltbanana314

benjamindaines said:
yup :) i havent installed the trial yet but does it work with .doc and .ppt files?

Yeah.

From the Apple website:

Pages is compatible. It imports AppleWorks documents and imports and exports Microsoft Word documents. Want to share your documents online? Pages also offers the easiest way to create great looking PDF files. Pages makes it easy to share your work with others.

Keynote 2 comes with 20 Apple-designed themes ranging from portfolios to storyboards that make it easy to look your best. Keynote imports AppleWorks presentations; imports and exports Microsoft PowerPoint presentations; and exports PDF, QuickTime and Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
safari is the best, i dont use rss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
i use mozilla for web development and regular browsing...imo it is faster and is more standard compliant. it has a bigger userbase than safari anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.