Wireless Compatibility

Reaction score
This might seem a silly question, but I have to replace my router and sales people don't seem to have a firm handle on how compatible some routers are with the Mac - especially as a wireless system.

I'm told that Macs are only able to wirelessly connect to the internet with Apple products. It that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
That is false. I have Comcast (a cable company) as my ISP and they have provided me with a cable modem. I have a Linksys wireless router hooked up to that modem and use that wireless signal. Macs can connect to the internet with almost any router as far as I am aware of. I'm at my school right now, and can say with confidence that I am connected to the internet wirelessly without an Apple router. You should be fine getting a Netgear, Belkin, or Linksys router.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Although Apple refers to its WiFi products as "AirPort", they use the same 802.11 standards that every other wireless product does. In fact, the AirPort cards use the same Broadcom and Atheros chipsets that are industry standard across the board.

All of that to say that you can purchase just about any WiFi router you want. Although the AirPort Extreme does have a few nice Apple-oriented features, it is WAY overpriced for what it is. My recommendation for a good all around router that has excellent range and throughput is the venerable D-Link DIR-655. It will run you a little over $100, but is well worth the money.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I 2nd the D-Link DIR-655. Great N router. If you are on a budget and do not need N, a good G router still is the Linksys WRT54GL. Be sure it's a GL and not the G. Excellent for the $$$.

Like CWA said, the Apple Airport Extreme is a bit overpriced for what it does. The firewall is only NAT with no SPI (Statefull Packet Inspection) which to me is unforgivable for that high a price.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

cwa107, you probably nailed it for me and I apologize if I'm a bit slow or too technical, but it's not so much the router I'm concerned about as the ability of my desktop G4 1.25 MDD to communicate with whatever router I use?

I might be conflating Bluetooth connectivity with router ability - The card or USB module inserted into a Mac port, I am told, does not always communicate. In other words: I install a modem with wireless ability buy a USB module of the same manufacturer and install them. Although the computer connects fine while hardwired will the wireless configuration do the same thing? Zeptogram probably verifies that it will and I'm hoping that will be the case.

BTW, is there a discussion about the meaning of n and g, as the Linksys I want is a WRT54GS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.