When do you know its time to repair your Mac or get a new one?

Reaction score
O.K. I have a 15 inch Macbook pro that is nearly 4 years old. The Apple care ran out back in June. Apple and Myservice both tell me the same thing. It needs both a mother board and a hard drive. $600-$800 to repair. A new Macbook Pro 15 inch is $1999 plus the tax and Apple care Waranty. Would you fix the machine or buy a new one? If you are inclined to purchase is now the time to buy or would you wait for the next Mac offering to come out?

Your help is appreciated

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could always use that repair money to buy a used MBP, an older model or save and buy a new one. It doesn't have to be the 1999 one unless you plan on doing things that are GPU intensive such as gaming or 3D rendering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I really don't believe in making expensive repairs to computers that are more than a couple of years old. Get a new one!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
O.K. I have a 15 inch Macbook pro that is nearly 4 years old. The Apple care ran out back in June. Apple and Myservice both tell me the same thing. It needs both a mother board and a hard drive. $600-$800 to repair. A new Macbook Pro 15 inch is $1999 plus the tax and Apple care Waranty. Would you fix the machine or buy a new one? If you are inclined to purchase is now the time to buy or would you wait for the next Mac offering to come out?

Your help is appreciated

A new MacBook is only $999. So with an $800 logic board repair...only $199 + tax more and you have a new computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
I personally like the idea of having an "old" Mac. But if it breaks, time to get a new or used one. In my opinion, repairing usually causes something else to go wrong in the near future.

Personally, I would get an used previous generation Macbook Pro. I prefer the previous generation's design (Completely grey vs the block border and keys in the current generation).

Good luck with your purchase though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.