Mac Mini cannot boot to Linux

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Mac Mini (new model) and I have Debian installed in it for home server usage. This setup has worked more than six months, but now it's unable to boot to Debian, or to boot from any linux CD.

Linux was installed so that OS X was complitedly removed and booting is handled by boot manager rEFIt. When I start there will be "no bootable devices" error. I can check that HDD is ok by booting from rEFIt CD and checking the HDD partitions, and they seem OK. So problem might be in GRUB at linux.

When I try to boot to any linux live CD to reinstall the GRUB, the startup locks in "ISOLINUX" copyright text. I have tried multiple distroes (debian, Slax, and ubuntu) and everyone of those have same problem.

I might be able to reinstall the OSX and start whole thing again, but I would lose all data in my server and I would not like to do that. Does anyone know any application to copy data from the disk, without loading the OS? I know clonezilla, but I don't need to backup whole disk, only get some files. Also clonezilla is linux based so it might have same issues.

Is there any tools to work with these boot issues? Or could I boot from other device than CD (because issue might be with that CD booting). Or does someone have any idea how to get that GRUB reinstalled?

Thanks in advance.

OP
H
Reaction score
I opened the casing and checked the cables, after that GRUB loads normally. So it seems that problem was with HDD's connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.