External Hard Drive Help

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently bought a firewire 800 compatible LaCie 500gb hard disk. I primarily used it with my MacBook Pro, purchased at the beginning of October. I came home one day, and in the tangle of wires surround my desk, grabbed the firewire 800 cable, and inserted it into the MacBook to use the drive, however it was already running through the USB 2.0 cable which I mistook for my wired mouse, so essentially both the USB 2.0 cable and the firewire 800 cable were inserted into the MacBook and the hard disk drive at the same time. Now the drive fails to mount, and cannot be repaired or recovered using Disk Utility, although it is recognized (but only here, not upon the main desktop). It still spins as it usually did, with no clicking or other noises, it seems to be functioning perfectly in every way save actually functioning as a hard drive! Is there any way to either repair the drive so normal function is resumed with no data loss, or to recover the data somehow (which exceeds 250gb, so may be difficult to accomodate)?

Any help at all would be appreciated :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this to see if it will work:

Plug the drive to your MBP via the USB cable only. Open Disk Utility and highlight the second item on the drive. (Not the drive capacity, but the item below it.) Now select "eject" from the top menu in Disk Utility. When the drive name turns gray remove it. Reboot your MBP.

Repeat the procedure above only this time with the FW 800 cable attached. Don't forget to reboot your MBP.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.