ibook not starting up

M

Macdonald

I have a white dual usb ibook (700mhz combo drive etc) and it will not boot up.

It gets to a screen with a flashing question mark.

Obviously I need to re-install the OS, but I can't seem to boot from the CD-ROM, also it wont eject, I have to use a paper clip.

I think therefore the drive is broken and have been quoted £638.81 to get the laptop looked at and drive replaced!!!!

This is ludicrous, so I was wondering if there is an external cd drive that is bootable? I know the Formac firewire one isnt... :(

OP
A

aladdino

Ibook boot probs

I had this problem too, what I didn't realise is that when there's a prob on the hard disk it takes a VERY long time for the ibook to start up on the cd...
Mine actually took over two hours...
So be patient, let it run overnight, maybe you'll have a nice suprise iun the morning like I did...

Nick.

Macdonald said:
I have a white dual usb ibook (700mhz combo drive etc) and it will not boot up.

It gets to a screen with a flashing question mark.

Obviously I need to re-install the OS, but I can't seem to boot from the CD-ROM, also it wont eject, I have to use a paper clip.

I think therefore the drive is broken and have been quoted £638.81 to get the laptop looked at and drive replaced!!!!

This is ludicrous, so I was wondering if there is an external cd drive that is bootable? I know the Formac firewire one isnt... :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.