best way to switch from vista to windows 7

Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have vista home premium 32 bit on bootcamp right now. but i just recently got windows 7 professional. I was wondering the best way to replace vista with 7. Do i delete the partition and start all over again or can i just clean install from windows like i would on a pc or..? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

will

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As long as you keep Windows 7 as 32 bit, you can do a direct upgrade right over the top of your Vista 32. Insert your Windows 7 DVD while Vista is up and running - then just follow the prompts. No need to format or create a new partition.

Now if you decide you want the 64 bit version of Win 7 Pro, then you'll have to start clean. There's no way to upgrade a 32 bit version of Windows to a 64 bit version without doing a clean install.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
if i try to upgrade it says i can't upgrade from home premium (vista) to professional (7). and i don't mind doing a clean start over. i just don't want to screw up my os x partition.

if i try put the install disc, boot up and hold the option key, i get my osx partition, my windows partition, and the windows disc. i think i have to select the windows disc to do a clean install however then my computer doesn't do anything its just black and has the flashing text icon in the top left.

Reaction score
Restore boot camp using Time Machine

I am running Leopard on an iMac. When I look at the directory for the contents of my backup hard disk linked to Time Machine, I see an icon for the bootcamp partition and there are files listed in its directories. When I look at other forums, they say you cannot backup bootcamp using Time Machine. So I am confused about this issue.

My question is I now have Windows Vista Ultimate and want to install Windows 7 Ultimate over it. However, I only partitioned bootcamp for 20 GB and I cannot do this. I need to increase the partition to 30 GB. How is this done?

My first thought was to delete the bootcamp partition on the iMac, create a new bootcamp partition that is 30 GB, restore the previous boot camp files that are on my backup hard disk using Time Machine. In theory, I would then have enough space to install Windows 7 Ultimate over Windows Vista Ultimate. I need verification this would work, since if I tried it and it failed, I would lose everything in the original bootcamp partition.

Can I do this?

zenbott

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.