Convert VMWare image to VirtualBox?

M

MacInWin

I had previously converted an old WinXP PC to a virtual machine on VMWare. I'd like to try VirtualBox, but it doesn't seem to want to import the VMDK image. I keep getting an error from VirtualBox that there is no boot media. I did do some searching on the net, but most of the posts are about how to convert from an existing PC to an image VirtualBox can boot. I'm trying to avoid the "build it from scratch" approach that right now seems the only way to get what I want, and which is frankly not worth the effort. VMWare works just find, I just want to try the same VM on VirtualBox as comparison to make a decision on whether to switch.

Is there a simple way to open a VMWare image file in VirtualBox?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This article suggests that the latest version of VirtualBox should be able to load a VMDK file from VMWare..

Regards

OP
M

MacInWin

Yeah, saw and tried that. Didn't work. My VirtualBox screens don't match what he shows. I've checked and according the the support site I have the latest version of VB, which may have changed things. My copy is reporting Version 3.1.0_BETA1 r54685.

OP
M

MacInWin

Update: I got it to start to boot (at least now it not reporting no media and ending fatally) but now it simply won't start. I get the window you see when windows has abnormally terminated, and the countdown timer counts down, but when it hits zero, nothing happens. It freezes.

Anybody got any ideas of what to try next?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure that it's worth the effort as VirtualBox is nowhere near as stable or fully featured as Fusion, but if you really want to do it, I'd remove VMWare Tools from the image before you try to attach it to VirtualBox.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If VMWare works for you, there should be no need to switch. As a VB user, you won't be gaining anything that I'm sure isn't available in VMWare. If it does the job, just stick with it.

If you do want to try it, VB does load VMDKs (I've done it) and I'm pretty sure they had the VMWare Tools installed in the machine too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I have VB 3.0.10, but I don't use Fusion. I'll have to try that someday with a trial version or something.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To support what I said earlier, I just finished building Chromium OS as a VMWare image (vmdk). I just booted up into it in VB and it ran like a champ. It crashed once but I'm going to peg that on the fact that it's very early release software.

OP
M

MacInWin

OK, I've given up on it for now. Eventually I found it's hanging on agp440.sys as it loads. There is an article at MS on how to disable that, but it's not worth it. I'll stick with VMWare. Works, works well and is stable. Thanks to all. You can move along, nothing to see here...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.