protect the windows xp with antivirus protection

Reaction score
My wife just partitioned her new mac book pro and wanted to protect the windows xp with antivirus protection. can that be done without harming the laptop???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The antivirus software would be installed on the windows partition, just like installing antivirus on a standard PC.

The AV software will only ever see the windows drive, and perhaps any shared folders, so will have absolutely no effect on the Mac when its running OSX at all.

T

todd51

If your worrying about harming the OS X partition, then no need to worry. Windows XP won't even recognize the fact that the OS X partition is even there. I have AVG Free installed for Win7 on my iMac right now.

louishen is correct in saying that nothing you put on your Windows XP partition will affect your OS X.

Reaction score
Os x

If your worrying about harming the OS X partition, then no need to worry. Windows XP won't even recognize the fact that the OS X partition is even there. I have AVG Free installed for Win7 on my iMac right now.

louishen is correct in saying that nothing you put on your Windows XP partition will affect your OS X.

Is this for sure , this is a news for me. i will have to take care as i was going for OS X.

thx

Reaction score
Yes. The two partitions are separate. Nothing to fear from any Windows malware, and getting AV on your Windows partition is just as important as having it on any other Windows machine. There are several good free candidates; I use AVG myself but there are many others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Install Avast! 4.8 on the Windows partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.