IDE DVD Burner Compatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 13" Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hd | 16gb Nano
I have Power PC G4 1Ghz tower that came equiped with the horrible Phillips CDD5301 DVD player/CD burner. I've at last grown tired of using a paper clip to eject dvd's every other time I use it. So I've decided to purchase a 16x internal Double Layer DVD Burner.

Question I have is , are DVD burners I see at Best Buy and Comp USA compatible with my mac ( added that I use Toast of course ). The only drives I ever see locally that advertise mac compatibility are always external drives. I have a Mac Tower so I see no advantage in losing more cash and desk real estate on a LaCie.

One that I've been looking at is as follows.

Pioneer - 16x Internal Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive "DVR-A09XLA"
* I Went to Pioneers site and looked at the drive spec's and it says nothing about Windows or Macintosh. The box at Best Buy I believe say's only Windows min req.*

Are CD and DVD burners like most IDE hard drives in that they will not say they are Mac compatible on the box just because it does not come bundled with a Macintosh installation software or instructions?

I tried to ask this question on another message board about a year ago and everyone pretty much just sent me links to Small Business Mac dealers that sell factory Super Drives.

Any help is greatly appreciated, (except links to internet stores)
Dave,

Reaction score
Also check out Patchburn (dont have a link handy, check Versiontracker). If the drive is supported, will get system to burn to it via Finder or iTunes etc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool I grabbed it, thanks again you two

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a update,

I just went to Best Buy today and nabbed that Pioneer DVR-A09XLB 16x Double Layer DVD burner today. And when I went to install it and realized the front of the tray is to big to poke through the mirror doors on my G4 Power PC's mirrored drive doors. So I took a sharpie and traced the opening on the front of the drive. Pulled the drive out and modified the front of the drives tray with some clippers and sand paper. After physical installation and the use of Patch Burn everything is up and running.

Did not try burning a Double Layer DVD yet though. Those things are way to expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.