worried about win7 users having wrong screen settings

Reaction score
Hi,

I just installed Win7 x64 (for testing purposes) on my Macbook Pro 17" LED screen (Macbook v4.1) and I notice that the initial screen settings in Windows 7 are set so that my screen looks extremely bright! I don't know whether it's a gamma setting or brightness/contrast or something else, but the desktop and of course photos look ridiculously bright now! It's like the initial gamma setting is something like 1.4 or even less!!! I know, it's sounds crazy... but I'm seeing so much (ugly) information in (extreme) dark areas of my photos, which is impossible to see at gamma 2.2 or even 1.8!

Now, I know that Win7 has an easy to use Gamma/Screen adjust wizard and if you walk through it, the screen settings can be easily set to a more normal setting. Although this is good, I know that many users, especially Windows users, are very lazy about configuring in general and especially calibrating their screen, so I'm worried that most new W7 user will not do this and watch online photos on a screen which is set way(!!) to bright.

Windows 7 shows the photos so extremely bright!! Or maybe I'm totally wrong and it's all about color rendering in IE8 under W7 x64 ? At this moment, I'm clueless....

Can anyone confirm having the same experience with Win7 on a PC or on a Macbook? I'm worried that all new Windows 7 users will have the wrong screen settings and that all of my photos will look very(!) bad on PC's in the coming years.

Thanks,
Kris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 and MBP 15" Late 2008
I'm having the same problem. Windows has a different color profile compared to Mac OS X. You could try to change the display settings in Windows to use a different color profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I know that many users, especially Windows users, are very lazy about configuring in general and especially calibrating their screen, so I'm worried that most new W7 user will not do this and watch online photos on a screen which is set way(!!) to bright.

Yes. People in general will have their screens set up in all sorts of ways (too bright, too dark, whatever) either because they don't know how to fix things, don't know that it's possible to change them at all, don't care, or actually like that particular setting.

That's people for you, and there's no sense worrying about them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.