• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Ok, let's say for a second that money was of absolutely no object. If you were to buy some software for a Powerbook, or other Mac with a decent amount of power, for the following categories, what would you buy? Things for beginner, intermediate, and pro. are acceptable.

Music Editing, Composition, Etc.
Video Editing, Composition, Effects, etc.
Web Design
Print Design
Home Office Applications (ie. Microsoft Office)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would get M$ office for sure. as for the other categories, i have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Music: Logic 7 Pro $999,- (or Pro Tools, but that needs specific hardware)
Video: Final Cut Studio $1299,-
Web: Macromedia Studio MX 2004 with Flash $999.95
Print: don't know, maybe Adobe Creative Suite 2 $1199,95 (don't know much about the printing business)
Office: MS Office 2004 Pro $449.95, or if you don't need a Spreadsheet, iWork $79,-
Total: $4947.85 with MS Office, $4576.90 with iWork

I know, all this software adds up a very big bunch of money expense...but you said money wasn't an issue, right? :cool:

All this, of course, would be for Pro's, there are cheaper versions of those programs, for non-Professionals.

For the home user, I would say iLife '05 for music, video and picture stuff, maybe Photoshop (I think there's a cheap SE version or something) for photo editing, and MS Office if you can afford it, otherwise iWork will do fine if you really don't need a spreadsheet, and can live with some minor incompatibilities with MS Office. I don't know any good and cheap solution for webdesign...

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, I figured those are the programs that would get suggested. I have the Creative Suite 1, but just put in an order for CS2, I'm just going for the student/teacher edition of office, Studio MX I have on PC, but I think I'll get the Mac version, I've never done a huge amt. of video/audio editing, so I was curious there, I'll have to decide what I want to do with that...

Thanks for your help!
ANy other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I have Studio MX too, it includes both PC and Mac versions in the box. But for licensing issues, you can't have it installed on both at the same time. Well, you can, technically, but you're not allowed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Final Cut Studio.
Adobe Creative Suite 2.
As for home office there's only really one choice and that's MS office...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.