• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PC laptop running Linux and Aqua GUI

B

blackscooby

This is well wierd. Re-formatted my old Windoze laptop, and now running RedHat Linux with an Aqua front end. Now it looks and feels like my old iMac(kind of). Very very strange to say the least.

Basically just installed an Aqua theme on top of Linux. So thats in Intel box running UNIX with an Apple style front end.

Ahhhhrrrrgggggg

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Yes, screenshots please. :)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
ttiwwp.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I've heard, PearPC is dreadfully slow.

-Chris

OP
B

blackscooby

To be honest I doubt my old work laptop would run pearpc. My new one might but I'd be in trouble if I just reformatted it and started again !

If my old lappy was a horse I'd have shot it by now*

*No laptops were harmed in this sentance, and no I don't really go around shooting horses for those who are just a little bit too PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mikeazorin said:
I'm very involved in the PearPC community, and on an okay computer PearPC runs quite well. You just have to make sure you're getting the right builds, check out http://pearpc.tuxtalk.org.

Cool. Thanks for the input Mike. I still have my homebuilt AMD lying around... I should try PearPc on it. :)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
there are loads of Aqua style themes for Gnome they are good some of them, if you want to see what there like have a look here
www.gnome-look.org

OP
B

blackscooby

Somewhat later than advertized ;)

OK its not exactly aqua, but I thought it was reasonable ! Shame I've wrecked the install by messing around with logical drives !

screenshot_redhat.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
not bad I suspose...

I like the PC skins better.. ive seen a few that I can hardly tell a difference ..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.