convincing the parents to switch-some issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook -2.13 Ghz, 160 GB hard drive
Hi everyone!

My parents are in the market for a new computer. They are in their early seventies, and my mom especially is pretty computer savvy. However most of her time is spent trying to maintain the PC they have, with lots of scan disks and defrags, etc, since it is slowly reaching the end of its rope. I say this is a huge argument to move to the mac, and just enjoy computing.

I've always been their go to girl with questions and help regarding their computers, and with Windows 7 on the market, I'm concerned that if they buy a PC, I won't be able to adequately help them if needed, since I won't be using 7. And I'm in Canada, they are in the States, so I can't be there to visually see their computer if they have issues.

I'm trying to convince them to get a new iMac. My dad has some slight problems with his vision and I think the display will be easy on the eyes.

They use the computer mostly for surfing. My mom is a writer and also uses her computer for that, as well as email.

However, she has arthritis in her hands and loves her ergo keyboard. I can't find an ergo keyboard for mac. She's not much for shortcut keys except for cut and paste-would a microsoft ergo keyboard be suitable enough since I can't see her doing a lot of things with the command key?

She is a bit hesitant on the idea of an "all in one" computer-thinking if one thing goes, it all goes down.

They would purchase from Best Buy, since their apple store is a bit far to go for them, and get a service agreement.

I could use some opinions from people who know older switchers, as well as some info on the keyboard issue.

I say they have to get used to a new OS anyway, they might as well get used to a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
However, she has arthritis in her hands and loves her ergo keyboard. I can't find an ergo keyboard for mac. She's not much for shortcut keys except for cut and paste-would a microsoft ergo keyboard be suitable enough since I can't see her doing a lot of things with the command key?

One thing Apple isn't very good at is designing hardware - it all looks very pretty, but ergonomically it''s a disaster area.

If your mother has a Msoft ergonomic keyboard, just have her use that - the Mac will go through a keyboard recognition routine and accept it - changing its keyboard mapping appropriately. She only has to learn that Alt now means Command and press Alt-C for cut and Alt-v for paste and otherwise she'll get to grips with it in no time. At 74 I speak from recent experience :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks didymus.

I had hoped that was the case with the keyboard-yes she has the ergo keyboard. I would convince them to keep their own mouse as well, I think. I took one look at that tiny imac keyboard and cringed, knowing that wasn't going to be a selling point for her.

I appreciate the input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Since they don't need a monster of a system for email internet and writing, the mini sounds like it would be perfect. Use the same mouse, keyboard and the same monitor. They could also pickup an LCD monitor 22" for less than 200$.

That being said, if the change doesn't come from them, they are likely to be fish out of water when they start. Even a move to windows 7 from XP is a big change but more manageable.

BTW I find windows 7 to be very good. I have it on my HDTV and my gaming PC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love the full sized wired keyboard, but Apple is no longer shipping that with the iMacs. Using her own keyboard she is used to might be a good thing. Same with the mouse.

M

MacInWin

My wife and I are both in our 60's and we both have Macs. Hers is a laptop, for which I got her a normal sized keyboard and external mouse. The keyboard came from Macally and uses the USB port. It gives her the full function she wants. For software she uses Firefox and Thunderbird, which gives her what she needs in surfing and mail. She's loving not having any issues with the new laptop after struggling with her PC for years.

To get her to the Mac I took her to the Apple store and turned her over to the clerk who met us. From there I just stood back and watched the magic happen! Basically, on demo the machine sells itself.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yamawho,

I can appreciate your insight. I'm trying not to "push" too hard for the change, and present them with all the information on Windows 7 and OS X for their next purchase.

But when it comes down to, "Hey, how do I do this?" I'm going to be useless to help with Windows 7.

Then again, it's hard to initiate change when someone is so used to their OS.

After my pc's getting so trashed with viruses, I'm so thrilled to just get away from the maintenance aspect of Windows. I'm probably way over enthusiastic, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
There may be some apps they need to run and when they can't, thats when the problems start. I would stay away from installing windows with bootcamp. If they need occasional windows use, then they have the old system.

You need to also consider that their printer or scanner may not with the mac.

BTW I assume they are running XP correct ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
Not a very Mac friendly solution, but why not install Ubuntu on their existing PC?
At least then they only have to get used to a new operating system and not a new computer. If they have enough space on the drive you could install it as a dual boot so they still have windows.

There's a whole ruck of free software out there for Linux/Ubunto, and firefox for web browsing.
This would save them a load of cash and they will/shoulnd be able to do away with all the rubbish that comes with windows.

I save a few ancient PCs from the tip by putting Ubuntu on them. it's amazing how much better PCs run when not running Windows :)

You could buy a Mini. and they could use the existing screen, keyboard and mouse, but give Ubuntu a try first. They might like it and it will save them some cash.

Darren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Since the OP needs to support them, ubuntu may not be an option here.

If the linux route was explored, I would suggest Linux Mint which is based on ubuntu but has everything working out of the box.

DistroWatch.com: Linux Mint

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Since you have a macbook, why not bring it over hook it up to their monitor and keyboard and let them use it for a few hours. I second the mini, they are more likely to switch if the cost is less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D (Penryn) 2.8 GHz 4GB RAM
My parents retired to Mexico 20 or so years ago and I spent 15 of those years trying to do long distance support on their PC's.

Finally, I managed to get my Mom converted to a mini about 5 years ago and life has been great for me since!

Not only has it been much less grief for her and me than the PC but using Screen Sharing in iChat has been absolutely a life saver. When she runs in to a question I can bring up her desktop and work her through it.

I don't believe she has had to have me or anyone bail her out of a problem for nearly a year and it used to be a nearly weekly exercise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.