USB Adapter for eMac

W

weatherman

Hey all - I'm new to the forums cuz I'm really a WIntel guy (not by choice) but I'm trying to help my neighbor out.

I just set my neighbor up with a WiFi network so he could hook his eMac on one side of the house up to the Internet. He hasn't got an Airport card in the eMac, and he's taking his time getting one, which is driving his poor son crazy!

I have a couple of USB adapters; the WUSB-11 from LinkSys and the DWL-120 from DLink. I haven't found any way of making them work with the mac, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone knew if those adapters could work using any drivers - 1st party or 3rd party or whatever.

Any ideas? If not, I'll just tell him to get the Airport card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
the adapters you are talking about i beleve are windows only. He will need to get an AirPort card. In the mean time you can put one of those adapeters on a windows computer, set up connection sharring on the windows pc, hook the emac to it with eithernet and it should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well you can use any USB wifi adapter that has Mac drivers. Check their manufacturer's website to see if they exist. Otherwise as ben said, you'll want to get an airport card.

OP
W

weatherman

Thanks. I did look for mac drivers for those adapters, and couldn't find any. There is a mac driver for a DLink USB adapter - the DWL-122 I think, but I can't find any mention that the driver (or any other) will work with the DWL-120.

Ultimately, I think it's just going to have to be an Airport card for him, I just thought I'd ask to see if I could set him up with something for free.

BTW Ben - very clever idea. If I had a PC that I wanted to dedicate to that, or even a third USB adapter, I'd probably consider it. Though it's still a little complicated. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.