• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Today is by far, one of the most important day in world history. I'm not good with words, so I'll reiterate something that some one is good with words once said.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
— Lt.-Col. John McCrae (1872 - 1918)

Lest We Forget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am actually living in Flanders , and the scars of history are so visible.

Our parents and grandparents and grand-grandparents have made sure that not a single flemish person will ever forget what happened here.

A very dark page in history.

Thank you for remembering !

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's gonna be even more interesting in two years.

11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of the 11th year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a pity it wasn't the war to end all wars

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I've been wondering today just how many people recognize the significance of the date.. Beyond the national holidays in many countries, in the US it's designation as "Veterans Day" really diminishes the historical significance of the cessation of hostilities on the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month.

and yes, it is a shame that it did not end all wars... and while In Flanders Fields is a wonderful poem, perhaps we would have been better served if Dulce Et Decorum Est was more widely known.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Beyond the national holidays in many countries, in the US it's designation as "Veterans Day" really diminishes the historical significance of the cessation of hostilities on the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Yes but since 1954 "Veteran's Day" is supposed to be an observance for all veterans not just veterans from World War I.

When was the last time we Americans celebrated the ending of the American Revolutionary War, which ended on September 3, 1783??? This is a much more significant date in American history than the ending of World War 1.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes but since 1954 "Veteran's Day" is supposed to be an observance for all veterans not just veterans from World War I.

- Nick
I'm aware, but it has certainly muddied the historical significance of the day. Most people in the US, it seems, have no idea why it's celebrated on Nov 11th.

The change of Memorial Day from May 30th to a Monday had the same effect.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm aware, but it has certainly muddied the historical significance of the day. Most people in the US, it seems, have no idea why it's celebrated on Nov 11th.

I agree. The origin of Veterans day is probably not known by most...but then there are many many things in American History that most Americans do not know the origin.

I will include myself in this statement...since I know that I don't know everything as well. Military History just happens to be one of my interests.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Its a pity it wasn't the war to end all wars

Yes and no. If it were the war to end all wars, existence would have ceased to be. I see both the ups and downs of that possibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.