Which version of windows would you suggest to run on a Mac

Reaction score
I have a 20" iMac (about 18 months old) and a new MacBook (about 4 months old). I need to run Windows on one or both machines for two programs for my wife (not supported by Mac). I won't be gaming or anything like that. Literally, only running two programs.

My question is this: Which version of windows would you suggest and do you know if Parallels or VM Fusion will allow you to install it on multiple macs?

Also, is the OEM builders edition of any MS Windows software on newegg.com sufficient for what I need?

Thanks,
Kevin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, the OEM for System Builders version would be fine. I believe both Parallels and Fusion are licensed for one machine at a time. You could also go with the free virtualization package, VirtualBox - but of course, you would need two copies of Windows. Running one or two non-game programs, virtualization would be ideal.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I already own VM Fusion (or paralells...can't remember which one). What would you recommend for Windows...XP or 7?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depending on the program, either would likely be fine but for the sake of future proofing yourself, you'd probably be better with 7. What programs?

OP
S
Reaction score
It's two software programs for her sewing made by Bernina. Neither is mac compatible.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would recommend XP. Smaller footprint and still faster than Windows 7. For a VM, it's ideal and it will be supported for some time to come. XP will be to Microsoft what '95 has been.

OP
S
Reaction score
I just bought the OEM builder Windows XP from Newegg.com for $89.99.

Thanks for all the help...

Kevin

Reaction score
Great choice and good luck. And we'll all assume you are using two separate windows disks for each of your two installations ...

XP should work great for you.

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Great choice and good luck. And we'll all assume you are using two separate windows disks for each of your two installations ...

XP should work great for you.

Cheers

I decided to just install it on one machine for now...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OEM disc is good for one machine only. If you try to install it on a second, you're going to run into Product Activation issues, wherein, the install phones home to Microsoft to try to determine if the product has been activated previously.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.