Looking for an External Blu-Ray Burner

Reaction score
I want to buy an External Blu-Ray reader/burner for my computer and I assume it's best to have FireWire for my Mac but also i want USB since I'll use it on a Windows machine that has USB only.
I have considered the below drive by OWC which is 12x and $349:
OWC Mercury Pro FW800/400+USB2+eSata BluRa... (MRF8BDSD12X) at OWC

I have heard of other brands such as Buffalo but are there other drives I should look at instead that may be cheaper or better? Also, is it better to buy my own drive from a company such as Pioneer or Panasonic and then buy a case separately? If so, which is a good drive or case to look for?

A couple specs I would like to have are most of all, a drive that does not need external power but that seems hard to find.

The other is a slim-drive since it's more portable. It seems they are much harder to find and much more pricy though. I'd like it to replace my current slim-drive which is a dvd burner but if can't find a slim version I'd likely keep it to use for when I'm on the go and need an optical drive.

Also, it seems media is coming down in price but since I'm looking for a good price on blu-ray media, what is a good place to buy from?

Thank you for help with the above questions.

Reaction score
I would make my own. You need a box with both firewire and USB ive seen them on eBay. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
This may be a silly question, but what are you going to use the Blue Ray for ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
I do a lot of home video with a new hi-def camcorder so will be using it for that. I will look at stores like NewEgg and see what I find for cases and drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.