How does Mac OS and Window share external HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
How is the sharing of an external Hard Drive done with a Mac that has Windows installed?

Could I do something on an application in Windows and save the file to the external HD then use it in Mac OS?

Using Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
How is the sharing of an external Hard Drive done with a Mac that has Windows installed?

Could I do something on an application in Windows and save the file to the external HD then use it in Mac OS?

Using Bootcamp.

I assume you would move the external hdd from one system to the other ...

Yes you can but the external needs to be formatted in a format windows can see. It also needs to be a format that your mac can see ... it can't see NTFS without extra software.

Oops I just realized your using Bootcamp ... I haven't tried that yet, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Yes. OSX can read/write FAT32 natively, and read NTFS (but not write) natively. Thirdparty tools/add-ons allow you to write to NTFS volumes as well.

Windows machines require thirdparty software to read/write to HFS+ volumes.

The easiest way to get what you want is to use the least common denominator of file systems, FAT32; this way you will be able to read/write from Windows and OSX without the use of thirdparty software add-ons or utilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I use my home network to read and write to so if you got a NAS box and put your hdd in there, it should work fine. That's assuming you have a router of course.

Reaction score
The easiest way to get what you want is to use the least common denominator of file systems, FAT32; this way you will be able to read/write from Windows and OSX without the use of thirdparty software add-ons or utilities.

But then you wouldn't be able to store files larger than 4Gb.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.