Networking Leopard and Windows XP Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBookPro
I am trying to share files between my Macbook Pro running Leopard (wireless) and my desktop PC running Windows XP Pro (wired).

I can see the PC in my shared list in Finder. I select my PC in the list and it shows me the shared folder on the PC. However, when I try and open the folder I get a popup window that says: The operation cannot be completed because the original item for "shared folder" cannot be found.

I can connect to the PC using "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in the "connect to server" dialogue. Once it connects, my shared folder appears in the list of volumes to mount. And when I select it I get a popup that says: The volume "shared folder" could not be mounted.

I have gone over all the network settings on both my PC and Mac according to postings in this forum as well as a number of tutorials on other websites. I even disabled the firewall and antivirus on both machines to see if that made a difference. It didn't. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong or how to make this work?

OP
Jew Drop
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBookPro
Does it make a difference that the PC is NTFS? Could that be the problem? I was reading that if you want to connect an external NTFS hard drive to your mac via usb or firewire that you have to install a driver that will allow the mac to read/write to the NTFS drive since macs use a different file structure. Is this the same with connecting to a shared machine running on NTFS? If so, what drivers, updates or software would I need to make this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
Over the network you can read and write to NTFS just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, because it's the SMB layer that controls reads/writes and the host os actually performs it. Sounds like it could be a permissions issue.. does everyone have read/write access on that share on windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini late 09 version
I have been connected to my winXP server from day one without issues or setup.

OP
Jew Drop
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBookPro
Yes, because it's the SMB layer that controls reads/writes and the host os actually performs it. Sounds like it could be a permissions issue.. does everyone have read/write access on that share on windows?

Yes. I set up the XP share for read/write access by the admin account both in the shared permissions as well as the security permissions tabs. Do I need to set up "Everyone" with those permissions as well? I was told I just needed to give permissions to the account being used to access the share.

Update: I can get the PC to read and write to the mac now, but the mac still won't mount the PC share.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.